Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Snow Driving

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 03:34 PM
1st Gear
Default Snow Driving

I am sure some of you lot do a lot of snow driving but over the pond it is not a frequent event. Anyway read the manual which said leave esp on unless in deep snow and the car drove sh£t . It was all over the place,Turned it off and not much better. Obviously standard road tyres but all previous cars have been much easier to control than this.Any tips on how to keep it on the road for the next time [:@]

Old 01-02-2006, 03:47 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Snow Driving

Driving in the snow just takes a little practice. Just keep your RPMs low for max traction and be sure to keep it in gear pretty much at all times, especially when turning or going downhill. I don't know too much about the esp other than in theory, so I would imagine that it would be better to keep it on. Hope this helps.

Old 01-02-2006, 04:03 PM
1st Gear

I am not a total novice as i have been driving about 20 years but snow driving about 5 days a year max, the ESP stops it revving above about 2500rpm if you floor it ,but the car just went straight on quite a lot instead of turning. No other car has been anywhere this tricky to drive in snow and ice.

Old 01-02-2006, 04:10 PM
18T
4th Gear

Esp is your best friend in the snow. I dont know why you are having trouble wiht and without it. you shouldnt be. Get some new tires maybe?

because of ESP i can be doing 45mph while everyone else is doing 20mph.

Old 01-02-2006, 04:10 PM
1st Gear

Well if you're on ice nothing is going to help you besides studded tires or maybe some really good snow tires that are siped and everything. The last 3 days I was in Idaho it was snowing really good then I drove to Colorado where it snowed good twice and I left for the east coast during the second snow storm. I have to say this car does better then anything else I have ever driven in adverse conditions. I also have tires that are rated good for all conditions (Goodyear Tripletred Assurance whatever).

I would turn off any stability control as long as you have decent tires and just go out and practice driving on the stuff. I was having fun in colorado, as long as the road was straight I would launch the car really hard and redline it up to about 50-55MPH (limit was 45-50) and it would was fun as hell...must be like launching an extremely high powered car on dry road .

But when it comes to turns...SLOOOOOWWWW and do not hit the breaks while turning that will just put you into a slide. Just easy on the gas and get a feel for how slick it is.

Old 01-02-2006, 04:46 PM
3rd Gear

get some snow tires and attack the turns
Heres 2 days ago

Old 01-02-2006, 05:56 PM
1st Gear

Its not cost effective and is that a quattro badge ?

Old 01-02-2006, 06:04 PM
3rd Gear

yep is your fwd? I'm just saying snow tires make an amazing difference over all seasons. Basically brake early, accelerate after the turn, not coming out of the turn

Old 01-02-2006, 06:15 PM
2nd Gear

yep. and low rpms, you'll be fine.

Old 01-02-2006, 06:20 PM
1st Gear

The ESP keeps revs low and i used to enjoy the odd few days snow we get,but not in this thing. Could be tyres as they are crap on dry and wet so it figures in snow also. ( bridgestone turanzo or whatever).
Getting new wheels in a few months so dont want to change them yet.
It is just much harder to drive than all my previous cars in the snow.

Quick Reply: Snow Driving