Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Snapped AXLE... WARRANTY?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 08:42 PM
Default Snapped AXLE... WARRANTY?

OK..... I posted last friday thinking that I had messed up my Clutch... However I got it to the dealership today, and they told me that I broke my axle. Not CV Joint... but the Axle litterally snapped.

Here is the kicker... the service guy told me that on 99 out of 100 cars this would never break unless I hit something. Well I didnt hit anything! The dealership had to call the "AUDI USA Rep." to see if I am covered under my used warranty or not.

If I am not covered it is $1400. I bought the car 6 fricken months ago! It only has 60k on it.

According to my Warranty booklet I am covered on anything other than CV Joint orboot.... but the service guy said "given the circumstances they had to check with the Rep. to see if I am covered in order to cover themselves".

Am I going to get screwed on this?

Old 10-23-2006, 08:48 PM
5th Gear
Default RE: Snapped AXLE... WARRANTY?

holy f'in ****. how did you snap the axle? i dunno bout the answer but good luck wit that

Old 10-23-2006, 08:51 PM

I litterally was taking a right around a median in a parking lot, accelerating from a near stop, in first gear, not creeping, but not even half on the throttle. The thing just fricken snapped.

I was out of a car for an entire weekend, and now they might not cover it.

The car still looks real nice sitting there in the dealership repair yard.!

Old 10-23-2006, 09:41 PM

If you fight hard enough, you will eventually get what you want. "the customer is always right".

Old 10-23-2006, 10:22 PM
4th Gear

Agree. the warranty says you are covered. If they don't cover it, take them to small claims court.

Old 10-24-2006, 12:51 AM
2nd Gear

Hey AG,

That is weird that it was a broken axle. Told ya I had a feeling about it not being the clutch ;-)

$1400 seems like a ton of money. Hopefully it will be completely covered, but if not, call around to other shops. A local shop has got to be a lot cheaper.

I had a bad rear axle seal on my car. I had a shop repair it for me. They had to pull the axle out to replace the seal in the differential and then reinstall. Now this shop has some great prices, but seriously I think they charged me like $70. Even if a new axle costs $250 or something, you have got to be able to get it done for under $500 somewhere.

Keep us updated man.

Old 10-24-2006, 01:09 AM

ORIGINAL: TDRILL

Hey AG,

That is weird that it was a broken axle. Told ya I had a feeling about it not being the clutch ;-)

$1400 seems like a ton of money. Hopefully it will be completely covered, but if not, call around to other shops. A local shop has got to be a lot cheaper.

I had a bad rear axle seal on my car. I had a shop repair it for me. They had to pull the axle out to replace the seal in the differential and then reinstall. Now this shop has some great prices, but seriously I think they charged me like $70. Even if a new axle costs $250 or something, you have got to be able to get it done for under $500 somewhere.

Keep us updated man.

Yea Dude,

You were dead on about this not being a Clutch Issue! That is after all why I post here there are much more knowledgable people than myself.

They told me the part alone is $800 plus 4 hours of labor, which to me adds up to only 1200, but Im sure they added a little here and a little there!

The service guy I talked to seemed to think it would be covered, but that since $1400 is a lot of money they felt I should know what was going on. I think they are legitemately baffled as to how this happened. He said like 3 times "I cant beleive we can not find any impact damage" always followed up by "not that i am questioning your story..." Blah Blah Blah.

So I wait one more evening in Limbo, wondering if I will have to empty out my "suspension and wheels" fund to pay for this crap!

Thanks for the support Gents

Old 10-24-2006, 01:23 AM
2nd Gear

Everytime the dealer tells you something just whisper to yourself "this guy is full of sh*t!", lol.

Now, I haven't climbed under your car to see what all is busted up, but take a looksy:

http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/...ory=Drivetrain

This says:
Axle assembly: Brand new complete axle assembly - $130
New CV joints are $150

Now you may need a few more things to go with it. And maybe your axle is a little more expensive than the one for my 98, but my savvy calculating skills aren't coming anywhere near $1400.

Just sayin, check out an independant shop before you fork over all your mod money to the stealership.

Old 10-24-2006, 06:12 PM

Still no asnwer from Audi-USA as to whether or not my Certified Used warranty will cover this! Now the very earliest I will have my car back is Thursday!!!!!!!!

Old 10-24-2006, 06:23 PM
2nd Gear

If Audi has possession of your car while they are determining liability / warranty coverage - then they need to be providing a rental car or prepared (IN WRITING) to reimburse you for rental car expenses.

I'm amazed at how many people let the dealer do whatever they want without raising an ENORMOUS stink about it and getting it handled quickly.

Quick Reply: Snapped AXLE... WARRANTY?