Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sideways quattro

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 12:56 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: sideways quattro

rear sway bar would help

Old 10-06-2007, 02:09 PM

ORIGINAL: cyberlogicx

ORIGINAL: Leifer

Not like drifting is bad for your rear axel or suspension, either. Did you order those brand-new too?
Are you drunk?

Read:

ORIGINAL: Papachristou

well i think u should rephrase that to sliding or E braking your car around a parking lot since drifting means you have enough engine power to break all four tires loose causing the car to "drift" around the curve under power... you will need a BT set up with at least 300HP and a stasis rear diff that sends more power to the rear, a coilover setup and RS4 rear sway would help too

even the RS4 in the hands of an experienced drifter will have trouble because of the quattro...

so if a 420hp RS4 with a really good drifter cant do it.. i doubt u were...
Read more specifically

E-braking your car around a parking lot
But you're right; yesterday I was faded, what gave it away?

Old 10-06-2007, 03:35 PM
1st Gear

You can drift in an all wheel drive car just as easily as in a rear wheel drive car. Now if you want to "power slide" then you're going to find it easier in a RWD car but it is still very possible in an AWD car.

The Quattro system does not do a single thing unless you apply the gas--when there is no power applied to the wheels, the quattro system does not fuction. So if you are sliding, or have lost traction, Quattro will not start to work its magic unless you apply the gas.

Old 10-06-2007, 03:39 PM
4th Gear

You can get any car sideways if you're going fast enough and crank the wheel and slide.

But you're sliding, not \drifting.

Still, just as fun! Especially if you're getting ready to change tires!

Old 10-06-2007, 06:16 PM
2nd Gear

yes...u r right...AWD can slide as easy as RWD but u aren't understanding what drifting actually is!

in a drift, u r on the throttle,spinning the rear tires..

so like u said in a quattro, when u apply the gas,the AWD will pull it out of the slide immedietly and abruptly...whereas a RWD will have the power to break the two rear tires loose and power through the drift...

ill put up a vid later of the M3 vs the RS4....Rs won every category except drifting.... everytime they tried to power through it,the quattro yanked him out of the turn into the grass

Old 10-06-2007, 06:25 PM
2nd Gear

that is a good video! I think it was done by Top Gear or one of those types of shows. The RS4 definatly could not drift and that thing has rediculous power.

Old 10-06-2007, 10:58 PM
1st Gear

yes...u r right...AWD can slide as easy as RWD but u aren't understanding what drifting actually is!

in a drift, u r on the throttle,spinning the rear tires..

so like u said in a quattro, when u apply the gas,the AWD will pull it out of the slide immedietly and abruptly...whereas a RWD will have the power to break the two rear tires loose and power through the drift...

ill put up a vid later of the M3 vs the RS4....Rs won every category except drifting.... everytime they tried to power through it,the quattro yanked him out of the turn into the grass
You can drift in an AWD car if the car has enough power... it will be a 4-wheel drift... if it is uncontrolled it would become a slide. Just semantics here. In a drift you don't just have to be spinning the rear tires, if I'm not mistaken, which I am not, all four tires are usually spinning. Quattro will pull you out of a slide if you apply the gas during one (and one of the tires has traction available) but if you have enough power, and JAM the gas, you can get all of the wheels to spin... engaging a drift.

Old 10-06-2007, 11:15 PM
1st Gear

i bet it was just like this eh? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Dfz-FJlRcM

Old 10-06-2007, 11:26 PM
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: oneg

i bet it was just like this eh? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Dfz-FJlRcM
That thing is crazy...too bad they had to paint it like that. [:'(]

This is pretty funny, IMO. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-de2B...ted&search=

Old 10-06-2007, 11:49 PM
1st Gear

I dont know what all this talk is about not being able to spin the tires through a turn in a quattro. Even on my totally stock 2.8 i was able to get it relatively sideways while flooring and did a kind of makeshift awd drift. Would i call it "drifting", hell no, but it certainly was fun and i was definately sideways and the tires were definately spinning.

Oh yeah, it was raining like a **** and ihad to be goingat a pretty decent clip topull it off. It was by FAR the most controlled and fun slide i have ever accomplished in a car.

Quick Reply: sideways quattro