Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I buy my wreck from insurance and part-out??

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 12:30 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Should I buy my wreck from insurance and part-out??

If you will be parting the car, I will take the Passenger Fender, splash shield on both sides and front bumper.
I would also consider the rear view mirrors and the hood if the price is right.
I might also take the driver fender if it is still in good condition.

considering the engine swap but it would not be for another year.

Old 04-26-2007, 06:39 AM

This would be my story:

I got hit after a 13 hr workday, car is totaled. I decide to part the wreck. Give insurance co. $2500. Get my claim check. Found a great car, great deal, but end up with a payment $200/mo over what my "spending limit" was.

Impound lot charges me $250 for the extra week to store the wreck while I was out car shopping. Flatbed it to storage area, $150. Find out a week later that I really can't keep car there very long, have to remove it in 5 weeks. I need tools, but don't have much mechanical experience, so I go buy a big Craftsman set $350 on sale full of a bunch of crap I'll never use, but missing the ten tools I can't work on an Audi without. Spend another $400 for tools I didn't know I needed. Now I have to haul tools back and forth, but some jackas sees me put them in the trunk of my awesome new car, crowbars it open and steals them. File another claim. Buy bungee cord set to hold trunk shut, $10. Contact all the Audi Forum bros that offered to buy my parts. Only two guys actually have money to buy parts, the rest thought they were free. Only one guy actually sends money to buy part, a fender. I need to ship fender to Alaska. Put a slight scratch on it while I'm boxing it up. I'm outta time so I take it to my detailer to polish it out, $40. Decide to list parts on Ebay, etc. My digital camera battery won't hold a charge. New battery is $38, new camera $115. Decide to buy new camera instead. Audi guy in Alaska calls, has received fender dented and scratched up. I need to go to UPS office and file shipping damage claim, takes one month to process, send guy his money back. Take pics of a few parts, post on fleabay. Answer a bunch of emails asking for parts I don't have. Sold the wiper arms. Bidder doesn't pay, says he thought he was bidding for wiper assembly. Guy from place I'm storing the car at says I have 2 weeks left, and I better pay to have the oil steam cleaned off his concrete, $250. Pay junkyard $500 to take wreck away. Now I'M PISSED. Floor it just to smoke yet another fricking ricer who's fake carbon fiber bumpers are flapping loose from the drywall screws. Cop observes me. Cop stops me, ricer waves and honks horn, gives me the "jerk off" hand motion. Cop presents me with $350 violation. On the way home, tranny starts to sound funny.

...but that's just my luck....

On the other hand, the only car I had totaled by insurance was an RX-7 that was stolen parked around the corner from the house where my (ex) wife was getting banged by an off-duty cop, while I was putting in another 13 hour day.

Old 04-26-2007, 08:52 AM
2nd Gear

since your car is pretty well smashed up and not much is not crunched i would just take the 2,500 and go get a 1.8t and start all over again just my thoughts

Old 04-26-2007, 11:33 AM
3rd Gear

lcdeyes thats a crazy long first post - but yeah - everyone on here is going to want a "good deal". I think you put too much effort into the possible unknown expenses coming his way

Old 04-26-2007, 12:41 PM
4th Gear

If your car was black then id be ask'n for your front bumper.

Old 04-29-2007, 02:55 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: lcdeyes

This would be my story:

I got hit after a 13 hr workday, car is totaled. I decide to part the wreck. Give insurance co. $2500. Get my claim check. Found a great car, great deal, but end up with a payment $200/mo over what my "spending limit" was.

Impound lot charges me $250 for the extra week to store the wreck while I was out car shopping. Flatbed it to storage area, $150. Find out a week later that I really can't keep car there very long, have to remove it in 5 weeks. I need tools, but don't have much mechanical experience, so I go buy a big Craftsman set $350 on sale full of a bunch of crap I'll never use, but missing the ten tools I can't work on an Audi without. Spend another $400 for tools I didn't know I needed. Now I have to haul tools back and forth, but some jackas sees me put them in the trunk of my awesome new car, crowbars it open and steals them. File another claim. Buy bungee cord set to hold trunk shut, $10. Contact all the Audi Forum bros that offered to buy my parts. Only two guys actually have money to buy parts, the rest thought they were free. Only one guy actually sends money to buy part, a fender. I need to ship fender to Alaska. Put a slight scratch on it while I'm boxing it up. I'm outta time so I take it to my detailer to polish it out, $40. Decide to list parts on Ebay, etc. My digital camera battery won't hold a charge. New battery is $38, new camera $115. Decide to buy new camera instead. Audi guy in Alaska calls, has received fender dented and scratched up. I need to go to UPS office and file shipping damage claim, takes one month to process, send guy his money back. Take pics of a few parts, post on fleabay. Answer a bunch of emails asking for parts I don't have. Sold the wiper arms. Bidder doesn't pay, says he thought he was bidding for wiper assembly. Guy from place I'm storing the car at says I have 2 weeks left, and I better pay to have the oil steam cleaned off his concrete, $250. Pay junkyard $500 to take wreck away. Now I'M PISSED. Floor it just to smoke yet another fricking ricer who's fake carbon fiber bumpers are flapping loose from the drywall screws. Cop observes me. Cop stops me, ricer waves and honks horn, gives me the "jerk off" hand motion. Cop presents me with $350 violation. On the way home, tranny starts to sound funny.

...but that's just my luck....

On the other hand, the only car I had totaled by insurance was an RX-7 that was stolen parked around the corner from the house where my (ex) wife was getting banged by an off-duty cop, while I was putting in another 13 hour day.

DAMN son, what a story. Thanks for taking the time to register and post it....I thought I was being overly pessimisticregarding the risks and hassles, but your story maked me re-evaluate.

I unloaded all my stuff from the car yesterday, and said my goodbyes.Had to use acrowbar to get the damn trunk open.You guys have confirmed my fears, so I let insurance take the car. After my remaing loan paid off, I'm getting a little bit over $5,500 to put towards a downpayment.

...so yeah, anyone have a 00-01 b5 they want to sell me?