Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

short shifter question

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 01:06 AM
1st Gear
Default short shifter question

The shifting on my audi is stock right now and shifts fine aside from first gear. Most of the time it get sinto first no problem but sometimes it gives me some trouble, it just doesn't want to click in so i have to play around with it a bit. The doesn;t happen too often but today it was annoying me so I was thinking since short shifters are a fairly cheap mod would they solve this problem or is worn out shifting a clutch problem? Also where is the cheapest place to get good quality short shifters and can I install it myself or what?

Old 07-22-2006, 04:05 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: short shifter question

first of all, a short shifter just reduces the throw distance. so it wouldn't solve your problem. my best bet for your problem would be bad synchros or something of the sort. take a look at your shift linkage first, that would be the fastest fix there is if that's all the problem is. secondly, i believe, along with some other audi owners i know, that the way a short shifter kit works best if it changes the entire link of shifting. the way audi SS kits are is that it just reduces the throw distance. making you shift just as far, but not gaining any performance. i've also heard of SS on audis messing up with the tranny. if i'm wrong then let me know, but that's what i've heard and it seems to make sense.