Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Serious issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 02:51 PM
Default Serious issue

I need some good advice from the Audi guru's out there. Ever since I've had my A4 (about 8 months), the speedometer has been giving me issues.. Sometimes it doesn't work, or it will jump up and down. Now I discovered a few things over time.

-When it's cold - below 65 - it almost always works
-When it's hot - 80+ - It almost never works
-When the speedometer isn't working, the odometer doesn't work either
-When the speedometer isn't working, the gas gauge moves around alot (i.e. if i slam on my brakes the gas gauge goes down to E)
-When the speedometer isn't working, when i let off the gas without shifting there is a real strong jerk (kinda feels like the TB closes right away.
-When the speedometer is working the gas gauge is pretty firm and reads right, and it shifts smooth.

I got my speedometer sensor (that goes on top of the transmission) replace with a brand new one and that didn't fixe the problem at all.
So I'm sure it's related to something that doesn't work when it's too hot. What should I do?

Old 06-07-2006, 03:19 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Serious issue

If you are saying that the vehicle speed sensor has been replaced, then i dunno what it could be.. If it was just the sensor that was replaced and not the wiring harness, it could be the wiring for it, bad ground or something...

Old 06-07-2006, 03:25 PM

any CEL light on?? if so get it scanned for codes

Old 06-07-2006, 04:14 PM
4th Gear

Maybe your whole cluster is currupted.

I know for me my trip computer fades when it's hott & doesnt fade when its cold.

damn germans

Old 06-07-2006, 06:11 PM

onepoint8tee - yes the vehicle speed sensor was replaced, since thats what i thought it was. it's still doing it so i wasted 100 bucks there...
avant - The CEL did come on once out of 100+ times, and it said it was the VSS. That was on a really hot day where it wasn't working right all day then it finally came on.
djspiel - did you buy a new cluster? how much does that cost?

Old 06-07-2006, 06:21 PM
4th Gear

No, I didnt.

From what I heard the "fading" is a general problem. Most people just turn trip computer off. It bothered me 1st couple of days.. no I am use to it.

I believe for a whole new cluster from dealer it's 600-1000

Old 06-07-2006, 06:26 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: kaklexicon

onepoint8tee - yes the vehicle speed sensor was replaced, since thats what i thought it was. it's still doing it so i wasted 100 bucks there...
avant - The CEL did come on once out of 100+ times, and it said it was the VSS. That was on a really hot day where it wasn't working right all day then it finally came on.
djspiel - did you buy a new cluster? how much does that cost?
It might be worth your while to just let a euroshop deal with it. I wouldnt pay the dealer labor rates, but that would suck for you to get a new cluster and have that not fix the problem either. Can you remember the fault code you had for the VSS? If I look it up on my bently manual on my laptop at home it should give all of the troubleshooting steps to take as far as what else could be a problem which is storing that code. So Ill check that out later for ya. As you already know, just cuz you get a VSS code doesnt mean the vss is the problem.

Old 06-07-2006, 06:30 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: Dj Spiel

No, I didnt.

From what I heard the "fading" is a general problem. Most people just turn trip computer off. It bothered me 1st couple of days.. no I am use to it.

I believe for a whole new cluster from dealer it's 600-1000
The center lcd display fading problem has nothing to do with the speedometer just so you know. Mine does the same thing thought when its hot/cold out. But the speedometer wouldnt be affected by this.

Old 06-08-2006, 12:36 PM

I'm pretty sure it was this one, P0501. But for shitsngiggles can you see what the bently manual says for the other code too? Thanks man.

16885 P0501
Vehicle Speed Sensor Range/Performance

16887 P0503
Vehicle Speed Sensor Intermittent/Erratic/High Inp

Old 06-08-2006, 12:53 PM

P0501 = VSS faults could be wiring, speedometer, VSS sensor, CAN data bus.

P0503 = VSS intermittent signal, erratic, high input, faults could be wiring, poor connection, other connected system, instrument panel

Quick Reply: Serious issue