Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seafoaming ?s

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 09:18 PM
5th Gear
Default RE: Seafoaming ?s

ORIGINAL: sniperage

the crush ring is a black rubber(or whatever color) that goes between the drain plug and the oil pan.
its made of a soft metal not rubber and is a bronze color

Old 01-13-2008, 09:19 PM
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: fumoazul99

maybe thats the reason why theres always time drop of oil next to the plug.... the bastards at speedi oil!!!

where can i get one of these crush rings?
dealership. you get them for free if you buy a filter from them. and i usually just get them for free anyways. they cant be more than a buck

Old 01-13-2008, 09:25 PM
1st Gear

Okay I suppose I can do the crank case.

Where can I get a crush ring?

-and-

What kind of oil filter do I need to replace with? Do I even need to replace it? Audi says my next service is at 53k and I'm at 49.7k. Can I not mess with that?

Edit:

Instead of driving around with it in the crank case can I just let it idle for like 20 mins while I do the vacuum line? I'd put it in the oil and fuel simultaneously and do the vacuum lines while it's idling, turn it off and let it sit, then go for a drive. Sound good?

Old 01-13-2008, 09:36 PM
1st Gear

You definitely need to change your oil filter when you get your oil changed. When it comes to oil and 1.8's, its far better to be proactive rather than reacting to expensive repairs. Seriously, there are enough writeups on both seafoaming and oil changes that you should be able to accomplish both successfully the first time with little effort. It's really not hard at all.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:38 PM
5th Gear

you can get a crush ring from the dealer

you should change your oil and filter within 100 miles after putting seafoam in the crankcase. and your car isn't gona idle with a vacuum tube unplugged. you gotta stick the tube in the seafoam and crank your car, its gona want to die, so you gotta keep giving it gas and not let it die until it's sucked up all the seafoam, then you can let it die. then reconnect the vacuum line and start your car again and let it idle for a little while, rev it a few times to get all the smoke out, it will smoke a lot. then go for a short drive and you'll be all set.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:40 PM
5th Gear

the reason for doing it in 3 places, is cause each one leads the seafoam to different places in your engine. so its best to do all 3

Old 01-13-2008, 09:41 PM
3rd Gear

If you're going to do the crankcase, do it a day or two before you do the intake. I would probably put a bottle in half a tank of gas, then add half a bottle to the crankcase once the gas gauge reads 1/4 of a tank. When the fuel light comes on, change the oil, seafoam the intake, and gas up.

And yes, you'll need to change the oil filter. AutoZone probably stocks the right one. Whichever auto parts store you go to, they'll have guides there telling you which filter to buy.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:41 PM
1st Gear

I need to go to the dealer on Friday anyway to pick up a grommet for my squeaky back seat, so I'll get a crush ring as well. Should I buy a filter from them or just go to Advance Auto Parts for that? Sorry about all of the questions, you guys are great.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:43 PM

http://ecstunning.com/stage/edpd/pag...iewimage.html#

crush ring looks like that

Old 01-13-2008, 09:44 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: chaos92287

you can get a crush ring from the dealer

you should change your oil and filter within 100 miles after putting seafoam in the crankcase. and your car isn't gona idle with a vacuum tube unplugged. you gotta stick the tube in the seafoam and crank your car, its gona want to die, so you gotta keep giving it gas and not let it die until it's sucked up all the seafoam, then you can let it die. then reconnect the vacuum line and start your car again and let it idle for a little while, rev it a few times to get all the smoke out, it will smoke a lot. then go for a short drive and you'll be all set.
So I remove the vac line and then start the car? Then once everything is sucked up shut it off and reattach the vac line?

Quick Reply: Seafoaming ?s