Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seafoam Writeup

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 01:37 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Seafoam Writeup

ORIGINAL: brrman

fyi - to do the fuel filter you need to drop the gas tank slightly. Its a pain in the *** job - especially if your not on a lift - but regardless its a pain in the *** job.
So the tank should be close to empty when doing this correct?

Old 02-10-2006, 03:36 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: onepoint8tee

ORIGINAL: brrman

fyi - to do the fuel filter you need to drop the gas tank slightly. Its a pain in the *** job - especially if your not on a lift - but regardless its a pain in the *** job.
So the tank should be close to empty when doing this correct?
naw it really doesnt matter

Old 02-10-2006, 04:45 PM
1st Gear

Man, changing the fuel filter has to suck then. On my '84 Ramcharger you open the hood and look down, there she is. Unclamp three hoses, put new filter in, clamp hoses and done. Takes me five minutes if I have to find the tools.

Old 02-10-2006, 07:51 PM
2nd Gear

I'm using AutoRX.

Old 02-10-2006, 09:12 PM

ill use use auto RX then

Old 02-10-2006, 10:28 PM

Me too, I'm so doing it, I have 188K miles and gona do spray seafoam then half a bottle of seafoam then other half goes into the oil and going to replace it 500-1000 milse later then a full bottle into the tank. and I hope I would be finished.

Old 02-11-2006, 03:22 AM
1st Gear

well, from my experince seafoam is a good preventitive maintenance item, but what zedex was talking about DOES happen, and that situation is that of a very badly worn and poorly taken care of engine that has alot of wear and sludge holding things together inside. if you actually understand fully how the engine works, there is absolutely no physical touching of componets such as bearings to crank or valves to guides or anything like that, they ride on a thin clearance of oil usually around .0008 to .002. so unfortuantely dont wanna make zedex look like a fool or anything but seafoam is a good cleaning agent for your engine, if it destroys your engine its because it was extremely worn to begin with, now for something diffrent to use, if you want to desludge your engine, a VERY VERY VERY good item to use is dexron automatic transmission fluid, what you do is change your oil and filter and subtract 1 qt of oil for 1 qt of ATF and run it in your engine at idle for about 20 minutes, do not drive the car however ATF is far too slippery for the componets inside an engine and does not have the same ability to cling to componets, but at idle for 20 minutes will not cause any damage at all, and ATF is full of the best detergents availble because for an automatic transmission to function properly the valve body has to be spotless, anyone who is a auto trans rebuilder knows that the fluid is crazy detergent, anyhow, im just rambling now lol, basically do that and let it idle for like 20 minutes and then drain and change oil again with clean oil and new filter, you will be AMAZED at all the **** that comes out your oil pan.

Old 02-11-2006, 03:32 AM

so Seafoam or Auto RX? I want my car to run better. Not sure if i have sludge or not.

Old 02-11-2006, 03:31 PM
3rd Gear

look on the oil cap or on the dip stick, it will be slightly mayonase like just above the oil.

Old 02-11-2006, 08:07 PM

got the seafoam 2 bottles the liquid. and 5Q of mobil1 5w-40 clean5000 formula, and mobil1 m1-301 filter. already pured in half a bottle, and it smells like gasoline. anyhoo, if you redline the car in second gear you end up at 80MPH range. it lowerd my oil pressure by like 0.1-0.2 BAR. so it still good.

You would be amazed how exelent car pulles from 30MPH. I whent to 80MPH in about like a minute or two.
the first gear at 20MPH if flored lives whels spining.

on the gasoline note, I dad used to clean motors too, what he dead is that, used 1/2 -1/3 of gasoline to the total amout of oil. so for 5 Q mix it would be like 2Q gasoline and 3Q of oil. he would hock up oil pressure guage anbd let the mix do it work holding like 1500-2000 RPM. You wont beleive what crap came out of there. he would pure all clean and it would get out all black and sometimes with gooy stuff. it was amazing.
and gasoline is a bit safe for rubbery stuff.

As soon as the blizard pases andbecomes moderatly warm, I will do the intake, and as soon as I fuel I will do the tank too.

Ah forgot the seafoam cost 5.99 at autozone.

Quick Reply: Seafoam Writeup