Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

seafoam went great

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 08:39 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: seafoam went great

ORIGINAL: Mhmara

Newbie here, and have heard some about sea foaming to clear out oil slug. How does it work and can you give me step by ste (pics would be great). I really want mine to live long. I just got it two weeks ago.
it went great for me. i just put a can in the gas tank. 1/2 in the crankcase and the other 1/2 through the vac line at the front of the manifold. be careful not to suck up too much at a time because you don't want to hydro lock your car. also you will need someone to help you with the throttle. i had my girlfriend work the throttle and keep it at about 2k rpms. if you do a search you will be able to find some good writeups.

Old 09-03-2007, 08:41 PM
5th Gear

Crap...now you guys got me thinking I need to do it to my car.

Old 09-03-2007, 08:49 PM
2nd Gear

haha. I'd say do it. My car is thanking me for it. If you lived near me I'd help you if you needed. but you live far away. I think I just want to see the smoke show again!

Old 09-03-2007, 08:55 PM
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: EVOLA4

haha. I'd say do it. My car is thanking me for it. If you lived near me I'd help you if you needed. but you live far away. I think I just want to see the smoke show again!
lol. Thanks...I'll probablysee ifthe shop we go to do it when they replace my tie rods later this fall. But then again, the smoke does sound very intriguing.

Old 09-03-2007, 08:59 PM
2nd Gear

i wish i would have filmed it

Old 09-03-2007, 09:05 PM
5th Gear

It's too bad you didn't...that would've been pretty sweet.

Old 09-03-2007, 11:13 PM
Site Moderator

When you do the intake application, it would be best to use seafoam in a spray can. If you just pour it in a vac line there isnt enough pressure to circulate the fluid to all the ports in the intake, etc. If it could be sprayed into the throtle body with the engine running somehow (between ic and tb) that would be best. Thats just my theory though.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:52 AM
2nd Gear

when you did your Seafoam did you immediatly change your oil or not, i want to sea foam the gas lines but i dont want to change oil again, about 300 miles on current oil.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:33 AM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: ironman

when you did your Seafoam did you immediatly change your oil or not, i want to sea foam the gas lines but i dont want to change oil again, about 300 miles on current oil.
This is how you should do it for the crank case:
ORIGINAL: auditech79

Its easy pour about half a can in the oil and drive it around for about 50 miles, drain the oil and change the filter. Fill it back up with synthetic and your golden.
When you do the fuel treatment, you dont need to change your oil. So, do the fuel treatment now if you want, by the time that tank is done it will be time for the crank case application/oil change.

Old 09-04-2007, 11:04 AM
2nd Gear

as usual onepoint8tee is right. you actually can drive around with it in your crankcase but you don't want to do it for too long because it does thin your oil. i put my can in the gas tank and then the 1/2 in the crankcase at the same time. i then drove for about 75 miles to let it do the job. some people say to go about 300 miles with it in there but that made me nervous. right before i was going to change the oil i did the vac lines. sucked 1/2 a can in. turned the car off for about 20 min., started her back up and revved it up for a little bit to burn it off. i then drove around a little bit more until the smoke cleared and changed the oil and filter.

Quick Reply: seafoam went great