Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

scuffed wheels...

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 04:59 PM
1st Gear
Default scuffed wheels...

Alright, I've managed to clip the curb on several occassions now with my stock sport A4 wheels.
This has caused a good number of nicks that I'm not so excited about.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to go about buffying these out so that they are less noticeable, if not dissappear?
Thanks.

Old 03-30-2005, 05:35 PM
Default RE: scuffed wheels...

hahaha you will not be able to buff out nicks its just not possible take it to a wheel refisishing shop or get yourself a new set of wheels and maybe go to driving school to learn how to stay away from curbs

Old 03-30-2005, 07:54 PM
Site Moderator

turtle - if you take some light sandpaper to the rash (if it is not a large area) you can sand it down enough to get some simple touch up paint on it. Curb rash is normally grinding so bad that its past the paint and into the aluminum. There is no real fix for this, but you can often get wheels refinished for $75 - $100 a piece.

maybe go to driving school to learn how to stay away from curbs
CL, dude - are you on new medication or something? Why are you laughing at everyone's posts and being an ***? It's very easy to curb a wheel. You are definitely not the same guy that was happily posting here a few months ago.

Old 03-31-2005, 01:56 AM
2nd Gear

ouch! $75-100 each for refinish. I'd prolly consider saving and getting some aftermarket wheels..although if you've only scuffed one or two that's pretty cheap for band new lookin wheels. The sand/touchup idea is pretty good...could this cause rusting though? Or are you more likely to rust if you don't touch them up? I have a few scuffs myself but I know jack about wheels.

-T

Old 03-31-2005, 01:58 AM
4th Gear

some nice red wheels would be sweet.
git 'er done!

Old 03-31-2005, 02:00 AM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: brrman

CL, dude - are you on new medication or something? Why are you laughing at everyone's posts and being an ***? It's very easy to curb a wheel. You are definitely not the same guy that was happily posting here a few months ago.
i get a haircut and you never notice, yet CL changes his meds and you notice in an instant?

that's it bryan, we're done.

Old 03-31-2005, 02:20 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: CheckMyVitals

ORIGINAL: brrman

i get a haircut and you never notice, yet CL changes his meds and you notice in an instant?

that's it bryan, we're done.
[sm=funnypostabove.gif] hahahahahaha

Old 03-31-2005, 03:52 AM
Site Moderator

HAW HAW...

pssst! Transverse... aluminum doesn't rust.

Old 03-31-2005, 03:55 AM
2nd Gear

Like I said...I know jack.

Thanks for the hawt tip [8D]

EDIT: Ok..I did a little search on this and found that though aluminum doesn't "rust" it can become extremely brittle over time if salt is allowed to eat away at it. Aluminum will become powdery white and then pretty much dissolve like a water tablet. This however requires a high amount of exposure to salts such as a boat lift in a saltwater body of water would see. Even in this situation it takes a long time to see any visible wear on aluminum, but once visually noticable the aluminum is already becoming very brittle. Sooo..I guess if you drive thru a lot of saltwater and you NEVER wash your car..you could potentially destroy your wheels. That said..I can now officially take my seat at the jackass chair.

-T

Old 03-31-2005, 01:24 PM
4th Gear

i don't think there's any more room on the chair, it's pretty full here. you can have the armrest.
but you're right, it will basically just... dissolve. Though you're wheel won't just completly fall off, after one winter of driving around in all the salt you're going to really hate your rims.

Quick Reply: scuffed wheels...