Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Screw in my tire, help

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007 | 08:27 PM
Default RE: Screw in my tire, help

It depends. If you have enough tread left in the tire, and the screw is in the tread side of the tire, you should be ok. If the screw is near the inside/outside corner of the tire, or in the sidewall, it can't be patched. Then you have to get a new tire.

Old 09-21-2007 | 09:22 PM
|
1st Gear

the screw is right around the center of the tire, straight in, in between two treds.

I got the car pretty recently, and haven't replaced any of the tires. I'm all about not buying tires when I dont need to, but aikibils comment about rolled cars really scares me, is this a huge stupid risk to patch it?

Old 09-21-2007 | 09:30 PM
5th Gear

my dad's tire had a huge screw in it. i patched it myself and we have put 5k miles on it. i take it on the highway alot doing bout 85-90. i also drive pretty rough with it in the city. everything has been fine so far, but as aikibils said, there is a slim chance but if ur tires are still very good, i would recommend just patching it urself. just make sure to use alot of glue

Old 09-21-2007 | 10:29 PM
1st Gear

what year is your car, mine has a full size spare, if yours does just swap them and then patch the punctured one and use that as the spare. That way you dont have to buy a new one and your not putting alot of miles on the one with a plug. But if u dont and the screw is in the middle, just get a patch kit from the autoparts store and do it yourself.

Old 09-21-2007 | 11:23 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: DiscoStu9

the screw is right around the center of the tire, straight in, in between two treds.

I got the car pretty recently, and haven't replaced any of the tires. I'm all about not buying tires when I dont need to, but aikibils comment about rolled cars really scares me, is this a huge stupid risk to patch it?

no, he was saying that if you only replaced one tire while the others were worn you would have issues, but if you patch it you wont haev any issues

Old 09-21-2007 | 11:28 PM
1st Gear

I've used this one product before , not sure if its the same as patching though.. but you put this brown goo stuff onto a rod type tool the kit comes with and you shove it all the way into the hole. the pressure from inside the tire kinda pushes the stuff out and plugs up the hole creating a barrier and filling in the puncture and later hardens into some kind of hard rubber compound.

fairly cheap at kragens.
:x if it is a patching kit I give you guys full permission to call me an idiot :x

Old 09-21-2007 | 11:32 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: DiscoStu9

Ive never patched a tire before, is there no place that would do this for me safely?

DONT patch tires. I did that once. Couple months later, patch popped, I started swerving all over the highway. LUCKY I didnt crash...

Old 09-21-2007 | 11:38 PM
5th Gear

dude ur not an idiot. there's a first time for evrything man. i don't think sumthing like that will be good. i usually buy this kit that has these black rubbery and sticky rod thingys, the package also comes with a buffer, a rod to push the rubbery thing into the tire, and rubber cement. wut u do is take out the screw, let the air out, use the buffer on the hole. put a rubber thingy onto the rod and pour rubber cement all over it. then stick it into the hole and pull out but don't pull out too fast. wut will happen is the rubbery thingys will partly stay inside and some of it will come out. if u have a piece taller than ur tire thread. snip it with scissors. then put some rubber cement around that area. wait a little bit till the stuff dries. i would say wait 1/2 hour? just to be on the safe side. thenpump the tire back up and ur ready to go. take it easy for a couple of days to see how the tires acts.

Old 09-21-2007 | 11:49 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: hiwords

dude ur not an idiot. there's a first time for evrything man. i don't think sumthing like that will be good. i usually buy this kit that has these black rubbery and sticky rod thingys, the package also comes with a buffer, a rod to push the rubbery thing into the tire, and rubber cement. wut u do is take out the screw, let the air out, use the buffer on the hole. put a rubber thingy onto the rod and pour rubber cement all over it. then stick it into the hole and pull out but don't pull out too fast. wut will happen is the rubbery thingys will partly stay inside and some of it will come out. if u have a piece taller than ur tire thread. snip it with scissors. then put some rubber cement around that area. wait a little bit till the stuff dries. i would say wait 1/2 hour? just to be on the safe side. thenpump the tire back up and ur ready to go. take it easy for a couple of days to see how the tires acts.
apperciate it , that sounds like the stuff I use for small punctures. depending on the wear of the tires and how much rubber is left on the tire , had it on my lexus and the tire lasted for about a good solid 3 months.. just noting the treads on my lexus was starting to wear thin when i used this stuff.

the tire didn't blow , but rather I changed it with a new tire because the goo'ey patch thing was starting to show.

Old 09-22-2007 | 12:21 AM
1st Gear

i know discount tires in boulder does free patches, i dont' know if that applies for other ones.

Quick Reply: Screw in my tire, help