Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scratched windows

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 12:56 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Scratched windows

My wiperblades were screwed up when I picked up my car from the dealer. Didn't notice it until I was in a storm and turned on the wipers. Now I have a really nice semi-circular pattern of scratches on the windshield. I thought it was just some rubber build up from the wiper blades being twisted...but no, actual scrathes. I had no idea glass could get damaged that easily.

Tried multiple applications of rain-x, which help just a bit, but the scratches are still noticable. I was going to try a one of those scratch removal deals at a glass shop, but not if it causes distortion.

Guess I'll have to live with it for now.

Old 04-06-2006, 02:51 PM
1st Gear

This is my day, I've two posts on the forum that are directly related to me...Hey, don't get me wrong, I'm just commiserating. Abacab, I feel your pain, I have the same thing going. I bought a used audi from a dealer and used the wipers to clear dust on the way home from the dealership...viola scratches on my audi windshield I've dreamed of for years and its not even the dealers fault.

As far as solutions go -
- RainX dint work very well. Its somewhat Ok for scratches that are out of your view but hardly works for scratches in your line of sight.
- Car-Wax was promising at first, but it became cloudy after a while. I intend to try different brands maybe one of them will be Ok.
- I was looking at a product called Janvil Glass Restore or something like that, it dint 'sound' too good so dint go for it.
- Cerium Oxide seems to be the product of choice, so I bought this and I'm waiting for the UPS truck to deliver it, I plan to use it this weekend if the weather is fine. This is what I got - http://www.caswellplating.com/buffs/glass.htm around $19 with shipping.
The issues with Cerium Oxide ( a glass polishing compound ) is that it supposedly creates a distortion and that the job must be done right the first time and also it takes long to get the job done.
The glass places refuse to undertake this assignment, its not worth their while they said. AND my insurance deductible is $500 so its cheaper to buy a new glass.
NOW is there anybody who has any more ideas? Please let me know I'm really mad that I scratched a windshield on my dream car just outside the used-car-dealers lot

Old 04-06-2006, 05:42 PM
1st Gear

prolly the longest post i've ever seen^^^^^^ lol

Old 04-06-2006, 09:40 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: vmulla

NOW is there anybody who has any more ideas? Please let me know I'm really mad that I scratched a windshield on my dream car just outside the used-car-dealers lot
ya dont turn on your windshield wipers when the windshield is bone dry..

Old 04-06-2006, 10:02 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: sandnsnow24

prolly the longest post i've ever seen^^^^^^ lol
stick around. That aint **** compared to some of the most randdom endless bs ive seen.
I also cant seem to find "viola" in the online websters dictionary whats his face recomended to me earlier.. But they do make window scratch removal kits ive seen at some auto parts stores.. I dont know if thats already been mentioned because i am too lazy to go back and check...