Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

scrape/clunk from wheel well

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 08:17 PM
1st Gear
Default scrape/clunk from wheel well

so im pulling out of my parking spot today, and i have the wheel turned all the way to the left. as i start moving, i hear a clunking/scraping noise from the left front wheel. kind of like i was hitting a piece of under carriage shield that had come loose, or the wheel liner had fallen. so i jumped out to check what was hitting the wheel, and there is nothing visibly hitting the wheel. so i went on my way, and kept hearing it, so turned around and parked it. anyone have an idea of what this could possibly be? i have a 150 mile drive ahead of me on friday, and am kind of concerned im going to F something up on the drive. the noice only happens when im turning the wheel left or right almost all the way or more. slight turns (lane changes and such) dont induce the noise.

Old 03-28-2007, 08:22 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: scrap/clunk from wheel well

It could be the CV joints. Check the boots and see if they are torn or anything. How many miles are on the car?

Josh

Old 03-28-2007, 08:25 PM
1st Gear

sry the car is a 96 2.8Q. i just hit 130,000 miles this week. i dont think its the cv joint because yesterday the car drove fine, no noise or anything. today its this loud scraping noise. it kinda sounds like this one time my father had a pebble stuck btwn his brake pad and rotor. (that was a ton of fun to fix, all for a lil ******* pebble)

Old 03-28-2007, 08:30 PM

check the stone/dust guard for stuck objects which is the obvious thing to do ( if none ) and it makes that noise only when turning then its the CV joints

Old 03-28-2007, 08:36 PM
4th Gear

Your skid plate isnt rubbing is it.

Why dont you stick your head down there and listen while somone backs the car up?

Old 03-28-2007, 08:48 PM
1st Gear

...the kids i live with up here aren't exactly the best drivers. (aka they have all gotten into stupid accidents, and know barely anything about cars other than how to drive them) once i go back home i will get one of my buddies to drive the car around while standing by a corner. checked the skid plate (thats what i thought it was too at first) but it is secure and not any where near anything moving. AVANT80- what is this stone/dust guard you speak of?

Old 03-28-2007, 08:53 PM
4th Gear

Metal plate behind the rotor.

Old 03-28-2007, 08:55 PM

you mean the dust cover

Old 03-28-2007, 09:07 PM
1st Gear

so it is the CV boot...it is completely torn open. anyone know how easy of a repair this is? would i be able to drive relatively straight (on a highway) back home for 150 miles, and not destroy my axle?

Old 03-28-2007, 09:10 PM
4th Gear

Try putting a bunch of grease in there and you will need a new boot. Since it just happend it should be ok as long as you get it lubed up again. Order a new boot from somewhere. I think ECS tuning has them. Or check out an audi dealership (you will pay a but load though.)

Josh

Quick Reply: scrape/clunk from wheel well