Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

School me on A4s

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 12:38 PM
1st Gear
Default School me on A4s

Alright so here is the deal. I just got out of school, got a good job and looking for a 2002-2004 A4. I have done some research, know about the options and what I want, but I don't know everything and thats why I am here.

To start I have no preferance whether the car is a 1.8T or 3.0. I do however have some questions about the two. I understand the 3.0 is faster stock and pulls a little better. This doesn't bother me as I would probably do some small things to a 1.8T if that is what I buy. I have been told the 1.8T with a chip will run with a 3.0, is this true? Also which motor if taken car of (oil changes on time, any work needed will be done promptly, etc...) would you rather have, for reliability? Do both motors take premium gas, and if so (or not) what octane is recommended.

My second question will also depend on the motor, or the year. Between the two which is preferrable, the 5 or 6-speed. I know the advantage to the 6, but what about strength of tranny (again the car wont be abused, I have the Mustang for that) if I do want to open her up and hit some gears. Also what are the gear ratios in each? This isn't hugely important as I will probably drive both, but knowing solid numbers would help me.

Next will I notice a big difference between an 02 and an 04? I am not sure exactly what if anything changed between those years, other than the 1.8 getting the 6-speed, and some new options being available. Would getting an 04 be better, or will an 02 be basically the same car, just slightly older? Also because it is a new midel year, should the 02 be avoided. A lot of people steer clear of new model years, but I haven't heard any horrer stories about them yet and have had friends with 02's who liked them.

What kind of performance am I really looking at. What kind of gas mileage will each be getting? I have been reading and a lot of the 02+ guys have been seeing mid 300s to the tank, and about 25 mpg, which isn't bad (better then my 4cyl Mustang). Is this something a lot of you guys are seeing on average? Also I am a drag racer (have won and placed at a few semi national level Mustang races and been in a magazine for one nationel level second place finish). I have read about low 15s with a 3.0, and a chipped 1.8T should be similar. Are these numbers attainable (with good driving of course) and will the car take that kind of abuse (tranny, axles, etc...)?

Sorry for the long post. I am finally grabbing a car thats worth owning (other than the 5.0 of course, lol) and want to make sure I know what I am getting into, and get exactly what I want.

Brian

Old 05-26-2007, 02:27 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: School me on A4s

1.8T chipped is roughly as quick as stock 3.0.
3.0 will be better for reliability (especially the more modded the 1.8T becomes)
Both take premium at 91 octane.

Get a 6 speed. Don't know about strength, but if you aren't putting huge modded power through them, you will be fine.

I personally would have a later model of any car. They did fix a few things after 02 but someone else will have to give you specifics.

That is typical mileage depending on driving style.
Those numbers are attainable and the car can handle it, but I wouldn't recommend dragging it a lot. Its not built for constant dragging of course.

Old 05-26-2007, 05:19 PM

Agree with everything.

The 1.8T is fun but our added turbo probably makes the non-aspirated 3.0 a bit more reliable. I like to put in 93 octane and my mpg varies. Full highway will be 30, full city will be 22. I get about 350 miles to a tank on average (bringing it down to the gas warning light) at 62k miles. If you think you may mod a lil' bit, get a 02 to better allocate the $. Otherwise, get a newer 04.

EDIT: A chipped B6 1.8T will get about 200-205 bhp while the stock B6 3.0 is about 220 bhp. Personally, if the price difference is >$500, I'd go chipped 1.8T for a more economical four-cylinder with comparable bhp, it increases the mpg too (more mods than this may reduce it).

ORIGINAL: TDRILL

1.8T chipped is roughly as quick as stock 3.0.
3.0 will be better for reliability (especially the more modded the 1.8T becomes)
Both take premium at 91 octane.

Get a 6 speed. Don't know about strength, but if you aren't putting huge modded power through them, you will be fine.

I personally would have a later model of any car. They did fix a few things after 02 but someone else will have to give you specifics.

That is typical mileage depending on driving style.
Those numbers are attainable and the car can handle it, but I wouldn't recommend dragging it a lot. Its not built for constant dragging of course.

Old 05-26-2007, 05:44 PM
1st Gear

Ok good to know. I saw an 02 near me for sale and went to look today. Nice car but an auto which turned me away immediately. I can live with mid 20 mpg plus my work commute is easy, and all highway. I don't plan to race the car any, maybe get a timeslip just to have, but I have the 5.0 for race duty. The mods will end right there, unless my friend sells his GTI and keeps the stuff he has on it for me.