Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

s4 or fixed up a4 for the price difference?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 02:25 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: s4 or fixed up a4 for the price difference?

now thats amazing. then exhaust, injectors, BT and all that good $hit

Old 01-11-2006, 02:25 AM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: mjvss21

buy an s4 and chip it then dont touch it. you have a reliable 300hp car with an insane amount of torque
Except for when the F-hose gets riddled with holes and then the K03s start making the dentist drill noise...a chipped S4 doesn't last very long. Those K03s are not as durable as ours.

Well, my vote would go the modded 1.8T. For 6G, you can make a 1.8T much faster and more reliable (yes, more) than a stock S4. It's called APR STGIII+. Of course, then you'll want wheels, suspension, brakes, but you would on a chipped S4 (a stock S4, really) anyway. Besides even a BT A4 will get decent gas mileage compared to an S4. Similar if not better. Plus there's the sleeper factor...and an A4's interior is as nice as you'll really need anyway, if you get heated seats. So A4+APR=goood.

Also, a sport package A4 turns in just as well (less mass in the nose, but higher profile tires) and grips almost as well as a stock S4. (The S4 has wider tires) Rolls less, too. S4 suspension isn't all that terrific.

Old 01-11-2006, 02:51 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: Yuikio

ORIGINAL: mjvss21

buy an s4 and chip it then dont touch it. you have a reliable 300hp car with an insane amount of torque
Except for when the F-hose gets riddled with holes and then the K03s start making the dentist drill noise...a chipped S4 doesn't last very long. Those K03s are not as durable as ours.

Well, my vote would go the modded 1.8T. For 6G, you can make a 1.8T much faster and more reliable (yes, more) than a stock S4. It's called APR STGIII+. Of course, then you'll want wheels, suspension, brakes, but you would on a chipped S4 (a stock S4, really) anyway. Besides even a BT A4 will get decent gas mileage compared to an S4. Similar if not better. Plus there's the sleeper factor...and an A4's interior is as nice as you'll really need anyway, if you get heated seats. So A4+APR=goood.

Also, a sport package A4 turns in just as well (less mass in the nose, but higher profile tires) and grips almost as well as a stock S4. (The S4 has wider tires) Rolls less, too. S4 suspension isn't all that terrific.
some very valid points.

Old 01-11-2006, 03:30 AM
3rd Gear

Thanks, StevenTownshend.

Other things I thought of: S4 will be more to insure. S4 is much more expensive to mod, since even if you do the work yourself, you buy two of everything: turbos, manifolds, DVs, downpipes, cats, mufflers, etc. If you chip it, the turbos *will* eventually die, unlike the A4, and the parts+labor for installing new turbos can get into the double digits fast, especially if you upgrade.

Obviously, the resale on the classic B5 S4 will be higher than the A4, and if you can't be bothered to buy S4 body-accoutrements, the S4 will look classier. But the A4 is no less nice to drive, except for the engine note and the monstrous powerband, and more moddable, especially for the cash-flow-challenged enthusiast. So keep those things in mind...an S4 is nice, and its engine is a doozy, but it isn't all pros with the S4 over the A4.

Old 01-11-2006, 03:51 AM
Zombie Defense Force

some time is wish i had a s4 then i get in my car and i remember that i can beat most s4's out there, now granted i could of put as much money into and s4 as i have my car and had one bad *** s4 but insurance would be hella high and my dad would not let me get and s4 cus they are too fast...go figure

Old 01-11-2006, 04:27 AM
1st Gear

That's a real tough one..like they said earlier..it all depends on what you're willing to spend. I might be bias..but I would have to say go with the S4! You're gonna pay more now..and on insurance..I pay about $300/month! But honestly..if you don't get the S4..you'll be happy to pay less..but you won't be happy..that don't have one! I know I could've saved a lot by getting an A4..but I wouldn't have been as happy!

Old 01-11-2006, 10:58 AM

also if you chip a S4 expect your turbo's to go out in like 50K big job lots of labour lots of parts definetly modding the A4 would be a better bet

Old 01-11-2006, 01:36 PM
1st Gear

thanks for all the input!! i am thinkin a4 modded tastefully.. i dont have that much money to spend if i buy a s4. insurance for me for s4 is prolly going to be 300 a month.. ill pass on that.. the a4 was only half that..

Old 01-11-2006, 01:49 PM

good call now start your modding and remember no body kits [:'(]

Old 01-12-2006, 02:06 AM
1st Gear

oh yea most definatly.. maybe a lip spoiler and s4 grills or things of that sort..

Quick Reply: s4 or fixed up a4 for the price difference?