Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S4 in a A4?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 12:35 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: S4 in a A4?

thanks for searching.. but wow.. this is an old post

Old 02-26-2007, 12:41 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: kenthach

Hey all, I'm new to the forum. We got a '99 1.8 T A4 that's pretty much dead. The body is still in good shape so we don't really want to sell it. Any comment on what should be done? To sell or turn into a project car? I'm planning on doing a S4 conversion, but not sure how much it will cost and how complicated it would be. Any help will help thanks.
wow buddy, way to search..

but where are you located? the 2.7t A4 conversion is actually pretty easy now. and quite affordable. you just have to know the right people

but as for your a4, what parts are dead? the engine, drivetrain, turbo?

Old 02-26-2007, 12:42 AM
2nd Gear

have fun with all the computer complications, i think it will be a nightmare unless you have ANOTHER donor car to drive around when your project is in the shop everyother week

Old 02-26-2007, 01:21 AM
1st Gear

yahh..this board's on for a while..hah..y should i start a new thread when there's 1 already right? haha..anyhow, yahh..I just wanted to know the price range for the conversion so i can decide to just get rid of the car or turn it into a project car. I do have another ride and can wait for another year or so to finish the conversion and have it running. Any info on prices, how much complication, and how long you think it'll run. I'm not goin to do the conversion myself, so the (hard) work isn't relevant. Prices and longivity of the conversion is most important. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks guys..

Old 02-26-2007, 01:28 AM
1st Gear

from what i know, both the engine and turbo is dead. It runs for about 5 min before overheating and smoking up the city. A mechanic i know says the engine is dead but i'm not sure how reliable he is with that info. I'm located in Lake Bluff, IL. About 35 min from Chicago. Got anyone cheap that's able to look at my car? For free I hope..hahah

Old 02-26-2007, 02:01 AM
2nd Gear

first of allwhats wrong with the engine? im sure it can be rebuilt stronger than stock..

but if you want to do the 2.7t conversion. i know a very reputable guy named greg in NY that can do it for you. here is what he told me a little while back:

"The motor runs you about $2500, now depending if you want to wire up the whole car as a S4 meaning S4 cluster, S4 climate control unit. I provide all other parts such as subfrrame, intercoolers, air box and everything else you need. You are looking at about $5500 for everything including labor and parts to swap the motor in and you would be done in about 3 days. It can be cheaper if you bring all your parts in. That also included Stock S4 Flywheel and S4 Clutch"

3 days, and $5500 later you have a new S4 motor in your car.. you can also swap in a 6 speed trans if you wish for a little more..

HERE"S HIS SITE:

http://www.2001s4ny.com/

Old 02-26-2007, 10:39 AM
4th Gear

Thats really cool sean... I wish I had 5500$ bucks

Old 02-26-2007, 02:44 PM
4th Gear

if you have an a4 and a S4 chassis with all te stuff, it sounds plausible since the chassis is the same minus the engine, drivtrain, suspension, and someother stuff

Old 02-26-2007, 02:48 PM
1st Gear

wow..that sounds cool. Thanks alot Sean. Would you mind forwarding more contact info on him? I'd rather find someone local to do it though. NY is kinda far from Chicago. So do you think it'll be best if I just rebuild the whole thing? I'd like it to be way better than stock. I just thought I'd upgrade it to an S4 since i'm fixing it anyway. hmm....6 spd..that's really tempting, if the mechanic is really confident he can have the car running after the conversion, I just might do it. I'd be really pissed to get billed differently from the estimated price.

Old 02-26-2007, 02:52 PM
1st Gear

no, I don't have any S4 part/components. I was thinking of finding someone with the entire package and have it put on.