Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rpm bounce?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 12:38 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: rpm bounce?

I like the chip and i figured it had something to do with it or something was wrong with the choke mechanism. The previous owner had it chipped and the exhaust installed so that $ i dont have to spend. I just had the resonator taken off 1-2 months ago. It only bounces during start- up as rpms drop it bounces about 200 rpm about 4-5 times then its fine. I think cause i did;nt give it a few min. to warm up that i threw its cycle off which is why it bounced 500 rpm last night. It is running fine now so im more worried about the shake. I hope its just a minoralinment issue, if not im goin to be pissed!I dont like it when i cant fix things on my own. (dont trust shops)

Old 03-25-2007, 12:45 AM
Site Moderator

For the rpm bounce, change your coolant temp sensor. They're around $20 at a stealership. Make sure to get the o-ring and the retaining clip. When you change it, make sure the engine has been cold for a few hours. Nothing like hot liquid melting your skin.

Old 03-25-2007, 02:26 PM
4th Gear

Ill have to try that. I want to change the O2's out also since im at 72k and the cars been chipped for alot of its life. (more wear) I understand i need a wideband sensor if i want an egt gauge. Do i need to replace both with a wideband? Who sells them?

Old 03-27-2007, 01:17 PM
3rd Gear

I have the "rpm bounce" to. when I stop at a light usually the rpm's will level off, then have a small spike of 500 rpm and drop by down. after that the tach will sit and bounce with a 1-200 rpm variance. Last winter I had to jump my car so I left it running outside and when I came back out it was jumping all over the place , hasn't done that ever again. maybe I need to replace this temp sensor too. keep us updated on if it works or not.

Old 03-27-2007, 01:55 PM
4th Gear

Deff. will. I dont plan on replacing it for a couple weeks i think im going to get a test pipe and install the new o2's at the same time to save a headache. The tuning thing sounds like a good idea but unfortunatly it's an MTM chip and the only dealer is in FL. so i think im SOL on that idea.

Old 03-27-2007, 07:28 PM
4th Gear

This is also a symptom of really dirty throttle body.

You may want to try cleaning out the TB first, since thats basically free, and see if it fixes the problem.

Then, try the coolant temp sensor.

Old 03-27-2007, 07:43 PM
4th Gear

The maf and tb were on the "spring cleaning" list but i want new hoses so i get do everything at the same time. But the way things are going now i think i should stop procrastinating and get some of these things done. lol I still have 2 boxes of brake parts that need to go on that i ordered 3-4 months ago. NO i have not been driving on worn brakes for 3 months, just wanted to get them on sale before i did need them.

Old 05-05-2007, 02:08 PM
1st Gear

About the RPM bounce. Did "check engine" light went off???
Mine did. I'm going to take it to the shop, but will tell them to check the above first.

Old 05-05-2007, 02:24 PM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: comfortstyle

About the RPM bounce. Did "check engine" light went off???
Mine did. I'm going to take it to the shop, but will tell them to check the above first.
No lights or codes went off for me. You should get your car scaned 1st by your local auto parts store for free before racking up a bill at the shop. You can easily end up with a $1000 bill before this problem gets solved, that's saying it gets solved.

Old 05-05-2007, 02:44 PM
4th Gear

New, try your spring cleaning, maf and TB, its free, and a good chance it will fix it especially if no codes.

Quick Reply: rpm bounce?