Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 08:20 PM
1st Gear
Default Rough idle

Hey guys. I think my car developed a somewhat rough idle over the last couple days. I thought it was my imagination but I'm not really sure what's up. Throttle response is still good and after I let the car idle for a couple minutes it'll balance out sometimes. But sitting in the car you can feel the engine in there kind of jolting around a little. Plus when I get out and listen to the exhaust it sounds "off". It'll idle, won't die whatsoever, just feels rough. I pulled the filter out of the airbox to see if it was intake related, still same results. I'm thinking fuel filter, but my throttle reponse is still excellent at idel and when at speed, so I'm not really sure where to start. I might get my oil changed in the next week or so, might have them take a look at it. Thanks everyone. ON EDIT: I don't think it's the gas I'm using, running 92 octane and have been using the same place for about a month. Maybe I need to switch?

Old 10-26-2005, 08:52 PM
6th Gear
Default RE: Rough idle

when was the last time for new spart plugs? Maybe run some fuel injection cleaner? I swear by Gumout Regane.

Old 10-26-2005, 09:08 PM
1st Gear

Well I bought the car 2 months ago and I didn't get a record of when the plugs were changed, I doubt they were. The guy was an Audi technician at a dealer, you'd think he would have done them but at 100K miles some people just don't bother. I was thinking about some of that fuel injection stuff as well, sounds like a plan. Also, I'm not getting a CEL so it's gotta be fuel or plugs or something simple, so that makes me feel a little better.

Old 10-26-2005, 09:27 PM
4th Gear

Was the tensioner changed when the timing belt was done?

Old 10-26-2005, 10:03 PM
1st Gear

Was the tensioner changed when the timing belt was done?
I would assume it was having the work done by a certified Audi Tech. If not, any way I can check the tension myself? Is it an easy reach with the bumper still on?

Old 10-26-2005, 10:22 PM
1st Gear

Okay, I guess I'm just gonna do plugs this weekend because I'll be back home with a shop and torque wrench. What plug should I be using and what are the torque settings on a 30V 2.8?

Old 10-27-2005, 01:57 AM
1st Gear

UPDATE: Okay so I just drove to and from work and I didn't have any symptoms. WTF?! I think what *might* have happened was when I was driving it early and it hiccuped, I was in Tip and I might have run it a little past where the computer would normally tell the car to shift, you can run the thing to like 6300 or something then it'll shift in Tip so you don't blow the thing up, but you can override the stock shift point in Tip mode to some extent. I wonder if I might have thrown off the ECU and it was pumping too much fuel in there or something? Either way, probably do plugs this weekend cuz they need to be done.