Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ripped CV boot

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007 | 03:03 PM
Default RE: Ripped CV boot

follow the instructions its that simple +10 for auditech there,

when you say rear is it the outer or the inner? if outer its the same procedure but with a fixed Axel so you dont have the freedom of movement of the front

Old 10-31-2007 | 05:49 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: The Russian

Hey guys, so i was lifting my car up to get it ready for ralying today, and found out that my front driver CV boot is ripped and spewing grease everywhere in the wheel well, and the passenger one is about to go at any moment... is there anyway to fixt this without getting a whole new axle assembly? is there any way to maybe patch or fix the CV boot?

-Val
dude, trust on this, just buy the whole new half shaft from O'Rileys auto parts store for $60!! even comes with a life time warranty!!
it takes about 20minutes to replace a half shaft, if that!!
i had a torn boot and ended up buying the whole half shaft, in the long run its cheaper, no where near as time consuming, plus you don't need to worry about anything else going on that old shaft!
a mate also had a split boot last month. he started to fix the boot itself, just like you are, and followed the diy on here. it took him 2 days with his car in the air and $50 down the line already untill he finaly came to my idea and bought the half shaft from O'Rileys.

when he was still trying to fix the boot, he put it all back togethor and the car wouldnt go into gear, for some reason one of the shaft had poped or something.

do away with people telling you to replace the boot, just go to O'Rileys. BTW, Autozone is alot more exspensive for some reason.
you will get your core charge back when you take the shaft back to O'Rileys.

Old 10-31-2007 | 05:55 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: stanman309

My rear left boot is ripped open and i know i need to replace it soon. Ive never popped the axel out of the tranny before as well as the hub. I figured since one is ripped i mine as well do all of them. Is it as easy as looks?
lol, no where near!! lol you will regret even thinking of doing all 4 boots when you start.
just replace the axel like i said in the other post

Old 10-31-2007 | 05:56 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: auditech79

The axles on our cars never go bad, you can get an axle repair kit at the dealer for about $60 each which includes: boot, clamps, crush washers, and grease.
Considering our axles are over $900 at the dealer its a good thing.
I think you can get a repair kit at www.ecstuning.com as well.
Woh! damn thats a rip off.
big difference on axels, $75 and $900 lol

Old 10-31-2007 | 06:05 PM
|
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: A4Tuner.

dude, trust on this, just buy the whole new half shaft from O'Rileys auto parts store for $60!! even comes with a life time warranty!!
i had a torn boot and ended up buying the whole half shaft, in the long run its cheaper, no where near as time consuming, plus you don't need to worry about anything else going on that old shaft!
a mate also had a split boot last month. he started to fix the boot itself, just like you are, and followed the diy on here. it took him 2 days with his car in the air and $50 down the line already untill he finaly came to my idea and bought the half shaft from O'Rileys.

when he was still trying to fix the boot, he put it all back togethor and the car wouldnt go into gear, for some reason one of the shaft had poped or something.

do away with people telling you to replace the boot, just go to O'Rileys. BTW, Autozone is alot more exspensive for some reason.
haha i finished this a while ago, the first boot took me about an hour and a half just because i had to figure some of the stuff out, and then the second one took me 25 min to replace, and only cost $35 +shipping. and now i have the experience and knwo how that **** works. but to everyone their own, some people buy audi's and pay the stealership thousands for simple jobs, and i don't go anywehre near shops.

Old 10-31-2007 | 06:08 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: The Russian

ORIGINAL: A4Tuner.

haha i finished this a while ago, the first boot took me about an hour and a half just because i had to figure some of the stuff out, and then the second one took me 25 min to replace, and only cost $35 +shipping. and now i have the experience and knwo how that **** works. but to everyone their own, some people buy audi's and pay the stealership thousands for simple jobs, and i don't go anywehre near shops.
lol yea, i realized once i read through it. its a pain when i only read the first couple and last couple of posts lol.
likewise on the stealership. ive only took my 12v to a machanic once in 6 years and that was for a transmission fluid change.