Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ripped CV boot

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007 | 06:01 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Ripped CV boot

Just got my right outter cv boot replaced. It was ripped wide open, and was dirttttty. Started getting light clicks on u turn style turns, but all is well now. The part was like $50, for the kit...labor charged me $200...I went to Miramar Audi/Porsche. My normal mechanic didn't have the parts since the fires = the audi dealer is closed..So i paid for convienence. But I felt It wasn't too bad considering I needed my car asap and it was so dirty that well I didnt want to deal with it .

Stupid fire...just replaced my air filter.. and its like ash galore.

Old 10-23-2007 | 06:57 PM
3rd Gear

Russian, you better put a plastic bag over that tokeep more crap outif you're gonna let it sit till Friday.

Old 10-23-2007 | 07:42 PM
Site Moderator

When you pull it you're gonna need a slide hammer (in pic) or a gear puller you can rent from autozone or something. Once separated pull out the crush washer and plastic follower (make sure to check which way the follower is facing) then pull off the rest of the boot.
Installation: First put on the rear crush clamp, then slide the boot over the shaft, slide in the new crush washer and old follower, fill the boot with grease and give the cv joint a good coat of grease in between the ***** rotating the rezeppa joint back and forth, then slide the large clamp over the boot before putting on the cv joint.
When getting ready to install the joint onto the shaft, thread in the old axle hub bolt so you can hammer on that instead of wacking on the end of the cv joint which could warp it (done it)
Hit the bolt until you hear it thud and it won't go any farther, STOP HITTING IT when that happens.
Pull the boot over the cv joint and crush down the clamps. Doneski [8D]

Old 10-23-2007 | 07:48 PM
5th Gear

u better hang that cv joint man. and just to mess with u, ur car is freaking filthy lol

Old 10-23-2007 | 09:36 PM
|
1st Gear

auditech79, thanks for the tips, will deff follow, for removing the CV joint i was just goign to use the bolt and screw it in there so it pops the joint off the axle, it was a tip in the audi diy.

ORIGINAL: hiwords

u better hang that cv joint man. and just to mess with u, ur car is freaking filthy lol
hang it? like kick its *** for ripping my boot? haha and do you really think i'm goign to bother detailiing a rally car? haha too bad i could not go to the track this weekend because of this, all of the cars had a nice thick layer of mud on the paint, and the wheel wells were like a big cake, no gaps at all haha.

Old 10-27-2007 | 10:54 PM
|
1st Gear

hey guys, so yeah i finished the boot replacement today, unfortunatly don't have more pics because i was all covered in grease, and it was cold so i jsut wanted to get it over with, most of the DIY write ups have people disconnectiong the upper control arms, but i found that i could get the join in and out of there without doing that, the first one took me several hours to figure out how to do, but then i did the second wheel in 25 min, it was a cake walk, and then naturally had to go test the work out on a mountain rally road. thanks for all your guy's help

Old 10-30-2007 | 11:27 PM

watch your boots man. i just replaced my axels bc i cept on replacing boots. i think it's a better deal to just get a esc axel the replacement split boots weren't worth **** in my opinion, i would watch it really closely especially the way you drive.

Old 10-31-2007 | 02:46 AM
|
1st Gear

well i didn't get the split boots those just soudn like garbage from teh get go, i got the exact same as stock from ecs, plus i replaced the driver boot whiel it was still in tact, =just ahd a minor 1cm long rip, and the passanger boot was still intact, so the cv joinds were wtill perfectly fien no dirt or anythin.

Old 10-31-2007 | 03:52 AM
2nd Gear

Ehh, i hated when i had a ripped cv boot, i still got grease all over my wheel. And either thats dirt or rust, but i have to appreciate the joys of living in florida, no salt to eat up the metal

Old 10-31-2007 | 02:56 PM
1st Gear

My rear left boot is ripped open and i know i need to replace it soon. Ive never popped the axel out of the tranny before as well as the hub. I figured since one is ripped i mine as well do all of them. Is it as easy as looks?

Quick Reply: Ripped CV boot