Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ripped CV boot

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007 | 03:13 PM
|
1st Gear
Default Ripped CV boot

Hey guys, so i was lifting my car up to get it ready for ralying today, and found out that my front driver CV boot is ripped and spewing grease everywhere in the wheel well, and the passenger one is about to go at any moment... is there anyway to fixt this without getting a whole new axle assembly? is there any way to maybe patch or fix the CV boot?

-Val

Old 10-20-2007 | 03:22 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Ripped CV boot

The axles on our cars never go bad, you can get an axle repair kit at the dealer for about $60 each which includes: boot, clamps, crush washers, and grease.
Considering our axles are over $900 at the dealer its a good thing.
I think you can get a repair kit at www.ecstuning.com as well.

Old 10-20-2007 | 03:29 PM
2nd Gear

a new half shaft is like ~120 at ecs and will take half the time then to replace the boot itself cause you gotta pull off the cv joint and then you gotta repack it with some grese put the boot on. I had to replace my boot a while ago and if ecs had the half shafts for that price when i did it, i would have just did the whole half shaft. Also its not hard at all, just messy.

Name:  BBK011.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  57.4 KB

Name:  BBK013.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  77.0 KB

Old 10-20-2007 | 03:33 PM
2nd Gear

Right, axles rarely go bad, but if your boot is torn and your loosing grease your gonna wear your CV joint out quickly, and that is what goes bad and what costs the most. Ifwhile your turning oryou hear a clicking sound at low speeds yourcv joints are goin bad.Just buy the half shaft from ECS, much easier and less messy then doin just the boot.

Old 10-20-2007 | 03:40 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: trailboss

Right, axles rarely go bad, but if your boot is torn and your loosing grease your gonna wear your CV joint out quickly, and that is what goes bad and what costs the most. Ifwhile your turning oryou hear a clicking sound at low speeds yourcv joints are goin bad.Just buy the half shaft from ECS, much easier and less messy then doin just the boot.
Ive had customers come in with a torn cv boot for YEARS, greased the joint and slapped a boot on there an no more clicking. There is a reason the cv axles from ECS tuning are 700 dollars cheaper than the dealers, they aren't as reliable. But do whatever you want.

Old 10-20-2007 | 03:53 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: auditech79
Ive had customers come in with a torn cv boot for YEARS, greased the joint and slapped a boot on there an no more clicking. There is a reason the cv axles from ECS tuning are 700 dollars cheaper than the dealers, they aren't as reliable. But do whatever you want.
The didn't get the nckname stealership for no reason at all.I wanna recall that ecs warranties them and if not buy from raxels and they have a limited lifetime warranty on theiraxles and i think its like ~180-200 for the halfshaft. If you hear any clicking your taking the risk that the joint is worn, and then to just regrease it with a new boot, not the right way at all.

Old 10-20-2007 | 03:57 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: trailboss

ORIGINAL: auditech79
The didn't get the nckname stealership for no reason at all.I wanna recall that ecs warranties them and if not buy from raxels and they have a limited lifetime warranty on theiraxles and i think its like ~180-200 for the halfshaft. If you hear any clicking your taking the risk that the joint is worn, and then to just regrease it with a new boot, not the right way at all.
Like i said do what you want, just giving my 2 cents, and TONS of experience.

Old 10-20-2007 | 04:18 PM
2nd Gear

Just asking, are you implying that if its not from the dealer its junk?

Some aftermarket oe parts are just as good as oem parts and sometimes better, not saying these axles are but they aren't junk especially raxles, tons of people use them.

Old 10-20-2007 | 06:23 PM
|
1st Gear

so how long/how much work would it take to replace a CV boot? without doign the whole axle? because it is $17 for a boot replacment kit, and there is no clicking at all when i turn, the boot just has a small crack in the rubber and is still holding most of the grease in

Old 10-23-2007 | 04:30 PM
|
1st Gear

so started on the CV boot replacement, there is the axle disconnected from the hub, didn't feel like pulling it off the tranny. now i just gotta wait till friday when my replacement boots come. i'll revive the thread then.

Quick Reply: Ripped CV boot