Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

removing side mount intercooler.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 10:41 PM
1st Gear
Default removing side mount intercooler.

i need some help. does anybody know how to remove a side mount intercooler for a 98 A4 1.8T??? i don't want to dismantle my car for no reason. so if anyone can help, thanks alot!!

Old 12-13-2005, 11:33 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: removing side mount intercooler.

Why do you want to remove it?

Old 12-14-2005, 03:39 PM
1st Gear

it's clogged up with oil. i have to clean it out. i tried to take it out, but it's nearly impossible. i think i may have to take out the headlight. but if anyone knows how to remove the side mount, i'd appreciate the help

Old 12-14-2005, 03:44 PM
1st Gear

clogged with oil???

how'd that happen???

Old 12-14-2005, 04:34 PM
Site Moderator

Disconnect the piping. Get to it from under the car. From what I remember, you basically pull it out.

Old 12-14-2005, 05:08 PM
2nd Gear

i tried to do it after i got in a crash, so it was bent up pretty bad. if you disconnect the hoses, your gonna have a hard time gettin it out the bottom, so i also removed the rubber hose going from the intercooler to behind the bumper on the bottom side. the pita is getting it back in, becase the radiator core support gets in the way. if the core support is like 1/8th of an inch further frontward, then its easy, so i had my dad pull on it so i could drop it in. make sure to clamp ur hoses back up, or else ur gonna get no boost.

btw, how did u get oil in ur intercooler??? kinda wierd, but i'd flush it with hot water a couple of thimes and let it dry throurghly, or else its gonna corrode the inside of ur engeine. good luck

Old 12-14-2005, 07:39 PM

little hit for you remove the horn bracket too I mashed my fingers taking mine out [:@]

Old 12-15-2005, 07:45 PM
1st Gear

haha have you seen any audis m ove their side mount to the front, using the same intercooler?

Old 12-15-2005, 11:14 PM
1st Gear

thanks for all the help guys, i'll try. the thing is i tried to pull it out from the bottom, but there's some medal thing that doesnt' let me pull it out. it's right under the upper piping, and i have no leeway left or right. and i smashed my finger already trying to get it around. how i got oil in there, i have NO idea but i know it's in there.

Old 12-15-2005, 11:50 PM
2nd Gear

i kno some models have a little fitting at the bottom which you can unscrew, maby if u ran ur car a bit with that off, the boost might blow all the oil out, or maby u drill a hole, then fill it back up with sillicone or something?

Quick Reply: removing side mount intercooler.