Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remote turbo setup...Illegal??

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 03:33 AM
I'm make believe
Default Remote turbo setup...Illegal??

Ray, I was informed that you are building a remote mount turbo system for your vehicle and wanted to contact you. FYI - STS owns the patent on building and installing remote mounted turbo systems. We do offer individual and bulk licensing agreements so that people can legally fabricate remote mount turbos so please contact us. Operating under our license is the best way to ensure that you are not infringing on our patents and also ensures that you will get the proper parts and engineering/technical support to do the job properly and end up with a system that works well.
Best Regards,
Rick Squires

Squires Turbo Systems, Inc
165 N. 1330 W. Suite A-4
Orem, Utah 84057
Phone: 866-WE TURBO
Fax: (801) 607-6846
http://www.STSTurbo.com

From here

Old 04-20-2007, 03:39 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Remote turbo setup...Illegal??

ummm, are they tryin to "copy right" an idea and how things are being built? in this case remote mounted turbo systems. if so, what a bunch of effing retards.

Old 04-20-2007, 03:47 AM
1st Gear

ohhh... I would get so pissed if I got that email...

Some things that set me off
1. You might own A patent... but how would building a one off turbo system copyright infringement, unless its exactly like the copyrighted turbo system (which is impossible... because its not built by them)
2. "Please contact us so that you can give us money."
3. "Operating under our license is the best way to ensure that you are not infringing on our patents and also ensures that you will get the proper parts and engineering/technical support to do the job properly and end up with a system that works well."
That statement just voided the other "its illegal" statements.. by proving that it is possible to not "infringe" on their patents.

F' them.... Or better yet, send them an email saying your going with another turbocharging company.. You know.. "Rays home built, one off turbocharging"

Old 04-20-2007, 04:28 AM
2nd Gear

i live 30 minutes from STS's shop. actually waterski with one of the guys there.. bunch of cool dudes that do a lot of good work FOR AMERICAN V8'S..

why would this matter for us? a remote mounted turbo system is not a well informed decision on any A4

Old 04-20-2007, 04:29 AM
I'm make believe

I have seen a handful of v6 guys attemp this. Check the turbo, supercharger and nitrous section and you will see some.

Old 04-20-2007, 04:30 AM

A remote mount system could work well for a 2.8.

Old 04-20-2007, 04:49 AM
2nd Gear

oh i have seen a lot too. saw one on AW that was running ok.. but 2.8L is not enough displacement to really take advantage of a remote setup..

and my buddy derrick is currently building a single turbo setup for his 97 2.8. can't wait to see how that goes

Old 04-20-2007, 04:56 AM
I'm make believe

ORIGINAL: sean1.8t

but 2.8L is not enough displacement to really take advantage of a remote setup..
I have seen a rear mounted integra, what does displacement have to do with anything? As long as you still have exhaust velocity you are good.

Old 04-20-2007, 05:02 AM
1st Gear

Can we close the zipper so this ***** can stop getting so much exposure? The original reply is on pretty much every major forum. Ultimately, if you're not mass producing it, don't stress it.

Old 04-20-2007, 05:04 AM

that's like saying you have a patent on putting subs in a box in the trunk of a car.

what a crock of sh*t, let them take you to court if they really want to.

Quick Reply: Remote turbo setup...Illegal??