Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

reinstalling underbelly pans after oil change!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 03:58 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: reinstalling underbelly pans after oil change!

ORIGINAL: sirfalconx

Is the filter on the bottom? In the 1.8t you can get to the filter from the top, so i got one of those oil evacerator pumps that pull the oil right out of the dipstick tube, then i just take off the filter, put on a new one, refill and go. Whole process takes less then 15 minutes and i dont have to jack up the car. I would deff reccomend investing in one.
??? You think this takes out all the oil? What about the oil/stuff sitting in the bottom of the oil pan? Not sure if I'd feel comfortable pumping oil out through the dipstick tube for an oil change. Maybe if Isome how overfilled it, but not to change the oil....Anyone else(credible) haveany positive comments on this?

Old 11-20-2007, 04:13 PM
2nd Gear

my audi dealership uses them but thats because its quicker, easier and cleaner..

im old fashioned so prefer to drain, plus i figure if there are any metal bits, they will flow out with the oil....

i doubt it makes a difference

and u should keep your belly pan on, helps the car run cooler.... at least b6's have scoops in bottom of the pan

Old 11-20-2007, 04:22 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: Papachristou
and u should keep your belly pan on, helps the car run cooler.... at least b6's have scoops in bottom of the pan
I still have the "belly pan" on. It's just held on by one screw in the front/center, and one on each back corner. Without usingzip ties, I think 3 fasteners is the minimum you can get away with.

Old 11-20-2007, 04:25 PM
1st Gear

mercedes dealers use them too.

Old 11-20-2007, 04:48 PM
1st Gear

Just to set the record straight, it does leave about 1-1.5q behind when you do it this way. however if your using good synthetic like Mobil1, under normal driving its just getting started at 3K. theres a lot of people who vouch for this at http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/ oil analysis through blackstone labs. So reusing 1 quart of good oil wont hurt you. HOWEVER, If your RACING the car, i wouldnt recommend it.

I do however, once a year, replace everything the old fashioned way just to be safe from any particles that may be in there.

Last tested compression @ 161K miles. Tested to 195 compression on 1/3/4 cyl and 175 on cyl2. This is exactly the same as it was when I bought it at 142K, which was exactly the same as when my best friend who I bough it from got it @122K. (the 175 on cyl 2 was from a dieing fuel injector)

BTW I run Mobil1 10w-30 in 4000mi change intervals, with the big ($10)Mobil 1 extended perf. filters. So if i can do that trouble free and your doing 3000 mile intervals i cant see there being an issue.