Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear door panel removal / window fell

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 11:33 PM
1st Gear
Default Rear door panel removal / window fell

Well, long story short, was having an awful day and decided to go for a nice little cruise with the windows down. The rear passenger side window fell with a nice clunk, and now won't go back up under power. I can manually sort of stick it up in place, but it creeps down when driving. Oddly enough -- I can still pull it down with the motor, just not up. Since I don't get paid til next Monday and this is driving me nuts....anybody have any instructions/insight on removing the rear door panel to get it fixed? I found a lot of instructions for a B5 A4 but since I have a B6, the door panel looks to be a little more challenging to get off.

Old 09-30-2007, 11:42 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Rear door panel removal / window fell

sorry to hear that man, you should try www.audidiy.com it has a ton of do it yourself stuff for any audi... good luck, keep us posted on what happens...

Old 09-30-2007, 11:47 PM
Site Moderator

Its the window regulator.
To pull the panel i think is pretty easy, remove the wood trim (or aluminum) and check for any screws behind that, then there is a bolt under the arm rest, after taking those out you need to grab a hold of the bottom of the panel then pull it backwards towards you. (It snaps in) although it does take a LOT of force, don't worry the only thing you could break is the clips, and those break all the time anyway.
I wouldn't recommend replacing the regulator yourself un-less you have done it before, you have to take the whole window carrier out, and its much harder on a B6 than a B5.

Old 09-30-2007, 11:59 PM
1st Gear

auditech -- thanks -- sounds like a good place to get started. I'm probably going to look at it after work tomorrow. I'm not too worried about replacing it -- can't be that awful. The door panel bottom is actually already loose -- think I found my mystery squeak that was driving me up a wall!

Old 10-01-2007, 12:28 AM
Site Moderator

Its not really hard to replace the window regulator per say, but adjusting the window carrier so it doesn't have any wind noise and door alignment.
Oh and when you get the door panel off there will be a foam glued onto the door, don't puncture that!!!!
Cut away the glue and take out the foam panel in one piece. If you fail to do this the side impact airbags won't work as designed because its a "pressure" sensor which has to be sealed.

Old 10-01-2007, 12:37 AM
1st Gear

Gotcha. I just ran outside real quick and popped the trim strip off -- like you said, few screws under there, one under the armrest, pull the panel off. Good tip on the door foam -- i'll be sure to carefully peel/cut it off and glue it back on.

Old 10-01-2007, 12:46 AM
Site Moderator

You won't have to re-glue it, that factory stuff thats on there will stick to the door like nothing you would believe, just stick it back on there when you're done, it won't fall off.

Old 10-01-2007, 04:37 PM

you know i had exactly same problem!!what i found when i took of the interior was a broken green piece that slides on a rail, i would go down, but piece that was holding it on the way up broke. I actually got pics how i did it. But all i did i zip-tied that anker-thing to green piece and glued it. Now it work AWESOME and i spent $5 with few hours of work. i doubt it will ever brake again. need pix just pm me

Old 10-04-2007, 09:39 PM
1st Gear

Hey, just wanted to give everyone an update. I took the route of zip-tying the green plastic part up for now -- actually both sides are done now, the other side broke today after work[:@] . Zip tying it up only takes about 20 minutes per side -- good temporary fix if this happens to anybody else. I definately plan on getting the lift mechanisms fixed at some point, but other things to worry about now.

Old 10-07-2007, 08:42 PM

hey im back, sorry it took me so long time.
Name:  redspots3.jpg
Views: 2582
Size:  44.0 KB
Name:  redspots2.jpg
Views: 1982
Size:  34.7 KB
Name:  redspots.jpg
Views: 2352
Size:  55.8 KB
all in red are screws that u need to unscrew, that's how its gonna look
Name:  audi014.jpg
Views: 2904
Size:  53.0 KB
here is the"green thing" that broke(cant really see but it was not holding that ankor)
Name:  audi006.jpg
Views: 2215
Size:  51.3 KB
here is where i put nail on top of that cord and zip-tied
Name:  audi009.jpg
Views: 1993
Size:  26.2 KB
looking like this
Name:  audi008.jpg
Views: 2445
Size:  41.5 KB
then i just put glue(epoxy plastic-weld) around that cord inside. I also glued the other side, that looks like waffle.

Last edited by BOPOH; 12-02-2008 at 11:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Rear door panel removal / window fell