Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

really bad heat soak or boost leak?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 01:20 PM
2nd Gear
Default really bad heat soak or boost leak?

ok well i dont know if its just been lately or theres a bigger problem but i have a few questions

#1... ok for all you chipped guys... i just noticed this while under hard acceleration with the windows down but... does the sound of the turbo pushing the air sound really loud almost like if you put your mouth to your hand and blow hard?

#2... is it possible that i have a boost leak becuase of the loud sound of air? and im only peaking at 14psi and settling at 12psi... but the giac chip for the tip cars is only a 1 bar chip so it is supposed to only peak out at 16 psi anyways they claim...

#3... is it possibly all of this is in my head and im just getting really horrible heat soak because iots 100+ and im paranoid that i dont have enough power and im leaking

thank you very much and have a nice day... the end

Old 08-02-2006, 01:24 PM
Default RE: really bad heat soak or boost leak?

lol i was in the same boat as you were. i was all parel that i had a leak or that something was broken and in my case it was a riped vac line. here are the answers to your questions

1. yes my car is chipped and my trubo screams like crazy between 3-4,500 rpms itsreally loud
2. i could hear my boost leak at idol. it sounds almost like a little whshing sound. i could hear the air escapeing from the hose.
3. and well it could be in your head but liek in my case there was a problem .

Old 08-02-2006, 01:26 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: StepUpProductions

ok well i dont know if its just been lately or theres a bigger problem but i have a few questions

#1... ok for all you chipped guys... i just noticed this while under hard acceleration with the windows down but... does the sound of the turbo pushing the air sound really loud almost like if you put your mouth to your hand and blow hard?

#2... is it possible that i have a boost leak becuase of the loud sound of air? and im only peaking at 14psi and settling at 12psi... but the giac chip for the tip cars is only a 1 bar chip so it is supposed to only peak out at 16 psi anyways they claim...

#3... is it possibly all of this is in my head and im just getting really horrible heat soak because iots 100+ and im paranoid that i dont have enough power and im leaking

thank you very much and have a nice day... the end
I know what you are talking about with the pushing air sound. Mine does that.. Sometimes louder than other times. 14 psi sounds a little low. Could be heat soak, the hot weather is killing my turbo's performance lately. I wasnt aware there is a difference between chips for tip and manual. mine makes the pushing air noise too when boosting high. i dont think its a boost leak cuz my boost gauge reads normal. but im going to verify that after i make a boost leak tester this weekend. you should do the same.

Old 08-02-2006, 01:28 PM
2nd Gear

what are you boosting at when under wot?

Old 08-02-2006, 01:31 PM
Site Moderator

what are you boosting at when under wot?
normaly around 20, but in this hot weather its more like 16 - 18. If the engine is cool after a cold start and i do a wot it will hit 20 but after that its more like 17 ish lately. Probably heat soak.

Old 08-02-2006, 01:39 PM
2nd Gear

damn... im definatly going to have to check for leaks... i dont know why im boosting so low... onepoint8 your tip right?

Old 08-02-2006, 01:41 PM
Site Moderator

damn... im definatly going to have to check for leaks... i dont know why im boosting so low... onepoint8 your tip right?
ya im tip

Old 08-02-2006, 03:05 PM

he also has a n75h valve, which lowers spike , and raises overall boost by 1 or 2 psi. Still your boost is a little low

Old 08-02-2006, 08:11 PM
2nd Gear

ok i brought it to my guy who installed it and he took it for a test drive with me in it... while driving it he got on the phone with giac and told them what it was peaking at and how it wasnt boosting... basically hes going to data log it next week to find out whats wrong with it and go from there... definatly not a boost leak by the way

my boost goes up to 14 and right as the needle goes to 14, it just barely touches 14 and then drops to 11 or 12... it doesnt slowly drop off or anything it just touches 14 and then backs off... im guessing that everyone else's boost does not go the same way?

Old 08-02-2006, 09:00 PM
Site Moderator

Well I deffinately get more than 11 or 12 psi... You may have a leak.
i dont see how that dude could rule out a boost leak without actually doing a boost leak test.
Sounds like you are boosting at 11 or 12 psi and spiking at 14. Thats not good. Make a boost leak test and visually check the obvious stuff. Did you get scanned with vag com? You may have some soft codes stored in there. What did you used to boost at??
On my way home from work i was boosting around 18-20 and i actually didnt even notice any spiking today at all it held boost really well. If you didnt have your ecu scanned, id start there, then a boost leak test.

Quick Reply: really bad heat soak or boost leak?