Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ready to buy...!!! am i?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 11:59 AM
1st Gear
Default ready to buy...!!! am i?

hello everyone...

I am one of the (many) noobs here who recently posted Qs about purchasing an A4 ("newbie wants an A4 but why all the bashing?"). Thanks to the great info here and your many responses, I am very close to buying a 98 A4 Avant Quattro 2.8 (yes, I know not the most popular option here but I am looking for reliablity to haul my kids) with 59k miles and one year left on an extended warrantly. The car also comes with two sets of wheels- the winter wheels are new and the summer ones still have some life left in them. I haven't had a chance to actually look at the car but will drive down and then take it to a stealership to have them do a prepurchase inspection (~80 bucks). The owners had it taken to their mechanic who is replacing the control arms. The price we negotiated is 8700.00 which seems to be fair considering the low miles, waranty and wheels, IMHO.

The outstanding issues/questions are:
-Their mechanic said the thermostat is sticking- he says that it doesn't pose a reliability threat to the car but only that it will take longer for the car to heat up unless you warm it up before driving.
-The timing belt has not been changed- I plan to do this in the spring once I recover from this financial outlay. BIG question- I know that the tensioner is suspect in this car. Will the colder winters in Montreal affect the tensioner and possibly cause it to malfunction? I could get it replaced but really don't want to go too deep into the credit card now....
-triptonic shifting isn't working. they weren't sure if it was a dirty contact. It doesn't affect tranny performance they say. They also said it was a 300 fix. Not worried about this now but maybe later.
- Carfax shows it as a lease vehicule for the first 25k miles. Not too happy about that but....
- They weren't sure what model it was. The title said Body style: SW (does that mean sport winter?)

anything I am missing? any general opinions?

thanks again....

jim

Old 12-18-2006, 01:01 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: ready to buy...!!! am i?

The timing belt is going to be expensive. As in at least $600 from your local mechanic. Twice as much from a dealer. It will need o be done soon.

SW- Station Wagon? Since it's an avant.

Old 12-18-2006, 01:28 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: BaconBait

SW- Station Wagon? Since it's an avant.
DUH .. thanks.

I've already checked prices on the belt -- sounds like I should do it sooner than later....

jim

Old 12-18-2006, 03:06 PM
4th Gear

I would not wait on that tensioner. It has enough miles on it that it will probably go, I wouldn't put it through the stress of a canadian winter. If you buy this one, do the t-belt right away.

The price sounds high to me, for the age, the t-belt not being done, thermostat, and possible tranny problems. Personally,I would probably keep looking. It sounds like a problematic vehicle that has a lot of issues.At least if your gonna buy it, get it cheap in anticipation for all the work its going to need.

I wouldn't pay more than 5k US for that one, maybe even less.

Old 12-18-2006, 03:24 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: acetrebo

I wouldn't pay more than 5k US for that one, maybe even less.
WOW... haven't seen anything that cheap come along. But thanks for that info.. I'll think hard about it.

jim

Old 12-18-2006, 03:37 PM
4th Gear

Mileage is low but for those faults I'd say US $7500 tops.

Old 12-18-2006, 06:44 PM
1st Gear

You guys have to consider that the prices on A4s are significantly higher in Canada than in USA. I haven't seen an A4 for $6000CAN in ... ever. I just did a quick search, and the average asking price for a 98 A4 is $9700CAN.

Old 12-18-2006, 06:47 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Cosmic Fur

You guys have to consider that the prices on A4s are significantly higher in Canada than in USA. I haven't seen an A4 for $6000CAN in ... ever. I just did a quick search, and the average asking price for a 98 A4 is $9700CAN.
you're absolutely right about that BUT I am from the States, working in canada so will buy the car south of the border (VT in this case)...

Old 12-18-2006, 07:17 PM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: fajimr

WOW... haven't seen anything that cheap come along. But thanks for that info.. I'll think hard about it.

jim
I have seen some, one guy here on the forum recentlywas buying one that needed a fair amount of work, but he was getting it for 2500US, I have seen a few96-98 2.8's around columbus ohio for around 5-6k or so. Maybe there arent as many where you are at. But, if you are patient, a good one will come along. If they cost more up there, at least find one in really good shape that has a good service history, so it doesn't cost you a lot of money after the fact.

Old 12-18-2006, 07:44 PM
4th Gear

IMO You should keep the $80 and keep looking, or take the repair cost's off the final sale price. (ex: Asking price $8,000 - Repair's $2,000 = $6,000) This could be a lemon that you could be getting stuck with.

Quick Reply: ready to buy...!!! am i?