Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio code won't take

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 02:59 AM
1st Gear
Default Radio code won't take

I've got a 97 A4 Quattro. I changed the battery and now my radio is in safe mode. I've read a lot of posts on here and can't find my problem. I have my code (aquired at a dealership) and I know how to put it in but it won't take it. Anyone ever had this problem? My radio worked fine before the battery replacement.

Old 03-20-2007, 03:28 AM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Radio code won't take

Have you already tried leaving the radio on for an hour until it turns off then re-inputing the code?
If you tried that and the radio still won't let you put in the code its locked in safe mode and won't come out, the radio unit would have to be replaced.

Old 03-20-2007, 03:29 AM

wow that would suck if you had to replace it. seems like a pretty retarded security feature really, I mean who's going to steal a factory radio?

Old 03-20-2007, 10:42 PM
1st Gear

Yea, I've went through the 1 hour cycle several times with no luck. I found the code written on top of the radio when I pulled it out. Since it didn't work, I took it to a dealership to get the correct code (had to take it in for a recall anyway, didn't have to pay). They came back with the same code that I had found which doesn't work. They said there must be something wrong with the radio. A lotgood they did me! Really, who wants a factory Audi tape deck ???

Old 04-19-2007, 11:17 PM
1st Gear

Just an update on my radio situation. I still don't have a radio!!! I finally realized that I am going to have to replace me deck so I called up Crutchfield and talked to a technician there. He let me know that if I had a factory Bose system (which I do) that not only will have to replace the radio but also all 6 speakers and the wiring. This is because there is not a wiring harness made to adapt to mine (supposedly Bose won't releaase the plug design).
If anyone has any good suggestions, let me know!!!!!!!!!! This is going to be a pretty costly fix just because I unplugged the battery! Ouch!!

Old 04-20-2007, 12:08 AM
1st Gear

u could alwaya cut the plug off and just splice and solder into the old wires and use heat shrink or electrical tape to insulate them.

Old 04-20-2007, 12:15 AM
1st Gear

Maybe. Some posts I found here said the factory speakers were 2 ohm which might drive the replacement deck too hard and burn it up. I measuredone of my back deck speakers with a meter and got 8 ohm.

Old 04-20-2007, 06:20 AM
5th Gear

thats wrong he lies there is a wiring harness I used one, just search the internet you will find it I will try and find you a link
ORIGINAL: creeper

Just an update on my radio situation. I still don't have a radio!!! I finally realized that I am going to have to replace me deck so I called up Crutchfield and talked to a technician there. He let me know that if I had a factory Bose system (which I do) that not only will have to replace the radio but also all 6 speakers and the wiring. This is because there is not a wiring harness made to adapt to mine (supposedly Bose won't releaase the plug design).
If anyone has any good suggestions, let me know!!!!!!!!!! This is going to be a pretty costly fix just because I unplugged the battery! Ouch!!