Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio code

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 06:25 PM
Default Radio code

Hi I need alittle help so not to look like a fool. I had just brought my daughter a 99 A4 drom a dealer. While there he had given me the access code for the radio in the event the battery ever goes dead. Since my last car had the same setup I made abig to do about makingf sure you write the number down in a safe place. Long story short I had lost the paper with the access number. Call the local dealer and they told me they can secure the original access number for a low low price of only $100. WHen question why so much they told me the radio needs to come out and that this is a very time consuming job. Is there any other why I can get the original access code so I dont look like a total jack a$$

Thanks

Old 11-22-2005, 06:41 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Radio code

hey, this is been discussed a few times here recently. i had the same problem when i got my car..the fuse on the radio was blown and the car didnt come with the original owners manual. what the dealer has to do is match the car's VIN number with the serial number on the side of the radio. it's a long 17ish digit number that's printed on the SIDE of the unit, not the back. all they had to do for me pull out the deck which took 2 seconds, got the SN, and 5 minutes later they gave me the code. i went there expecting to pay 90 bucks or so, but the guy was pretty cool about it and i didnt have to pay a thing. it's a really stupidly simple job. actually u can prolly pull the radio out yourself by using stiff zip ties or something and stick them into the 4 little slots in each corner of the deck. that will release it and u should be able to pull the unit out and get the SN off of the side. then, just tell one of the techs at a computer your VIN number and the SN and you're set to go.

Old 11-22-2005, 08:19 PM
3rd Gear

technically the radio shouldnt have the code on it, for theft purposes. some people are lucky enough to have the code on a sticker stuck on the inside of the trunk by where the spare tire is. the dealer is just ripping you off, all they do is look up the vin and boom, theres the code. if you cant find it under the spare in the trunk, take out the radio, sometimes a previous owner has put the code on there, but i doubt it.

Old 11-22-2005, 08:29 PM
2nd Gear

there's usually a card inside of the manual

Old 11-22-2005, 08:46 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: StevenTownsend

there's usually a card inside of the manual
That's where mine is located. Inside front cover of the owners manual.

Old 11-22-2005, 09:26 PM
1st Gear

Actully you do have to take out the radio for the code but it is still simple job

Old 11-23-2005, 09:59 AM
4th Gear

The code may be in the spare tire well.

Mine was on a small white sticker hidden under the cross members of the top of the trunk crossbrace near the rear seats. Get a flashlight, crawl in the trunk and look around.

Old 11-23-2005, 03:44 PM

I would like thank all of you for your prompt response and suggestions. I will try evry one of them except for looking in the owners manual since the car did not come with one. In fact that is my next project, locating an owners manual as wellas carpeted floor mats. and

Old 11-23-2005, 03:55 PM

don't get the mats off eBay they are thin crap, as for the radio the Audi dealer only needs the VIN number to get the code if its the original radio, other choices are get the code wiped so no code required or dump it for something newer

Old 11-23-2005, 06:51 PM
1st Gear

you also need the AUZ number

Quick Reply: Radio code