Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radar Detector

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 04:03 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Radar Detector

Ive had good luck with beltronics, i currently have a v995. its around $200 and does have pop 360 laser and instant on protection. also look at the rx65 a little more but tested better especially around turns. and both of these beat the v1 on side detection.

Old 12-19-2007, 09:55 AM

ORIGINAL: apr_a4

ORIGINAL: 96A4Owner

lol, bounce off human flesh? these waves can bounce off of anything, and even though you may think the range on them isn't that far because doors won't open from people or objects far away, they still emit small amounts of waves for a good enough distance for your detector to pick up. Houses emit alot of crap that detectors pick up too, i have the best cobra out right now, and it still doesn't work that great. There have been a number of times where i'll pass a cop that's sitting in a parking lot, and my detector will be completely silent. While other times, there will be noone in sight and the thing will go crazy.
because its a cobra ;p
I said laser you numbskull,which won't bounce off everything in sight and travel 800' to set off your detector. It's a tightly focused beam that ones it hits something scatters and disipates quickly,hence why they call laser detectors,ticket alerts. Radar is another story and operates on a completely diffrent set of principals.

Old 12-19-2007, 10:00 AM

lol, bounce off human flesh? these waves can bounce off of anything, and even though you may think the range on them isn't that far because doors won't open from people or objects far away, they still emit small amounts of waves for a good enough distance for your detector to pick up. Houses emit alot of crap that detectors pick up too, i have the best cobra out right now, and it still doesn't work that great. There have been a number of times where i'll pass a cop that's sitting in a parking lot, and my detector will be completely silent. While other times, there will be noone in sight and the thing will go crazy.
The piglet can be using Vascar,instant on andenforcing the law like he should bydetermining you weren't goin fast enough to pose a danger to anyone so clockin u isn't a concern,looking out for tail gaters or aggrssive drivers,or just sitting there doin paper work chattin on the cell.
If a cop is a few blocks away on street paralell to yours your detector will go off 2,that or a door opener.

Old 12-21-2007, 06:18 PM
1st Gear

2.0T, the alerts your detector is giving you from cops that are unseen, are false alerts, most likely emitted from homes, stores, schools, etc. The doors at stores with motion sensors will make any radar detector go nuts.
I mean that they eventually come into sight. My mistake I didn't explain myself. I know what false alarms are as well.

Old 12-21-2007, 07:33 PM
1st Gear

i sold my passport 8500 x50 for a V1. wayyyyyyyy happier. theres my 2 cents

Old 12-21-2007, 08:01 PM

ORIGINAL: auditurbo381

i sold my passport 8500 x50 for a V1. wayyyyyyyy happier. theres my 2 cents
Hehehhe so true

Old 12-22-2007, 02:36 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: ItsThat2.0T

This is the one I just purchased. I didn't find it necessary to spend $400+ on a V1.

http://www.radarbusters.com/radar-de...rdetector1.cfm

I get alerts when they're no where to be seen; great detector.
That's the one i have been using for over a year now. It works great and has saved my **** a number of times. Already has paid for itself. not to mention it matches the interior perfectly and since it is hardwired there is no wire mess!

Old 12-22-2007, 05:49 PM

If the govt were speed trapping from the air, then they are definately using laser. In whuch case we would never get away with dash mounted radars. unless you buy one of two on the market. The V1 everyone is raving about, but you would need the sold seperately laser jammers that def raises the $200 price. Or a k40 they are much less than the V1 with jammers and are undetectable. Radars are installed in bumpers 2 mile range front and rear and the jammers for like $500-$600. I have done quite a few of these and they work great. You can virtually go as fast as you want with no worries, but I dont reccomend that. I think the V1 is a great just not as stealth as the K40. And Im biased, because Im a k40 dealer. but back to the original post question. Dash ount should be the V1 hands down...

Old 12-22-2007, 10:28 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: EVOLA4

ORIGINAL: ItsThat2.0T

This is the one I just purchased. I didn't find it necessary to spend $400+ on a V1.

http://www.radarbusters.com/radar-de...rdetector1.cfm

I get alerts when they're no where to be seen; great detector.
That's the one i have been using for over a year now. It works great and has saved my **** a number of times. Already has paid for itself. not to mention it matches the interior perfectly and since it is hardwired there is no wire mess!
I have a few questions:

Did you hardwire it yourself? Easy install? (I've seen the write up for doing it through the sunroof control area)

Would it effect my warrenty if I was to get it wired proffesionally?

How much should I expect to pay to have it installed. I assume an hours work so maybe $65. (Which is a bit much)