Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radar Detector

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 04:46 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Radar Detector

ORIGINAL: apr_a4

ORIGINAL: spectrum

I over heard someone say in florida that cops patrol speed from helicopters!
helicopters dont go past 145
Actually, the CH-53E Sikorsky (U.S. Navy) can go over 175 knots or 200 MPH. However, it has 13,000 Horse-power from the 3 engines, haha. The only thing [restricting] the speedis the drag and blade stall, along with the fact that the lifeof the rotorhead components are shortened at those high loads. I'm not sure how fast the Comanche could go, but that was a fast one too.

Old 12-14-2007, 05:06 PM

ORIGINAL: Bogie

ORIGINAL: apr_a4

I over heard someone say in florida that cops patrol speed from helicopters!
helicopters dont go past 145
Actually, the CH-53E Sikorsky (U.S. Navy) can go over 175 knots or 200 MPH. However, it has 13,000 Horse-power from the 3 engines, haha. The only thing [restricting] the speedis the drag and blade stall, along with the fact that the lifeof the rotorhead components are shortened at those high loads. I'm not sure how fast the Comanche could go, but that was a fast one too.
Traffic ones can't and def can't sustain it. Rember top speed is not max safe cruise speed and max cruise may not be even reachable as the "numbers" on paper are with a test pilot, on a specially broken in craft, with cool temps and as close to ideal situations as possible. My POH for the club 152 says somethin like 800 FPM climb and 100 someodd cruise in knots. On a day that is 40 and below at gross I will be at 1000 feet by the downwind turn,on a 90+ degree day i will never reach the 1,000 ft pattern altitude,more like 800 feet with an additional mile of distance required to do so as opposed to a 30 degree day before i am lined up with the numbers and must prepare for decent. Cruise is never gonna be near the 110 knot max cruise speed, more like 98 knots on a typical day. Then lets rember that is airspeed. Just as you quoted above, all things ideal and the bird is at 200 mph airspeed,it very well maybe doin only 150 ground speed. On the same note it may be indicating 200 while doin 250 ground speed. Then theres a limit 2 how long one can go full power especially on turbine engines. Fancy printed numbers are just that.Just an FYI.

Old 12-14-2007, 05:07 PM

you get the ticket and then its mailed?
No theres a cop down the road who will wave you over along with the 10 other cars he's hustlin at the time.

Old 12-14-2007, 08:35 PM
1st Gear

ItsThat2.0T Date 12/14/2007 4:01:44 PM This is the one I just purchased. I didn't find it necessary to spend $400+ on a V1.

http://www.radarbusters.com/radar-de...rdetector1.cfm

I get alerts when they're no where to be seen; great detector.

Thank you... Finally someone who actually answered the question lol... 2 many ppl are v1 ****** lol. its good but i dont think worth that much. many others for half the price work just as well. or atleast i hear

Old 12-14-2007, 09:34 PM

Your first instant on,laser, or moving radar ticket from behind will solve that. You want 2 test out the V-1's strong point, have a buddy with an Infiniti set cruise behind and a lane over from a car you travelin near. The V-1 will pick up the laser richochet from a hundred or so feet away givin u plenty of time 2 slow down if ur only runnin 20 or so ova. I've yet 2 witness a laser detector do anything but tell you ur gettin a ticket till i saw a V1 in action. It's ur money. 2 me its like orderin a 100 count box of condoms off e-bay for 5 bucks cause a buddy did the same and his dick didn't fall off yet. Both mistakes will cost u for years 2 come.

Old 12-14-2007, 09:45 PM
2nd Gear

I have a passport 8500 x50 but the damn thing keeps going on when I do WOT and it says laser everytime. I replaced the power cord and it still keeps doing it....

Old 12-19-2007, 12:11 AM

2.0T, the alerts your detector is giving you from cops that are unseen, are false alerts, most likely emitted from homes, stores, schools, etc. The doors at stores with motion sensors will make any radar detector go nuts.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:34 AM

ORIGINAL: 96A4Owner

2.0T, the alerts your detector is giving you from cops that are unseen, are false alerts, most likely emitted from homes, stores, schools, etc. The doors at stores with motion sensors will make any radar detector go nuts.
No store uses freakin lasers so powerful they bounce off human flesh,reflect out hundreds of yards and still have enough energy to set off your detector, to open and close doors. Somethin is wrong with the detector or your in the proximity of an Infinity with its cruise control on. If it beeps after you've covered half a mile or so sayin laser its not a pig because laser can't be used by a pig on the move, they must be stationary it's either an Infiniti with CC on or crapped out. At this point in time find a rural road with no Infiniti's in sight and see if it flashes laser or not.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:50 AM

lol, bounce off human flesh? these waves can bounce off of anything, and even though you may think the range on them isn't that far because doors won't open from people or objects far away, they still emit small amounts of waves for a good enough distance for your detector to pick up. Houses emit alot of crap that detectors pick up too, i have the best cobra out right now, and it still doesn't work that great. There have been a number of times where i'll pass a cop that's sitting in a parking lot, and my detector will be completely silent. While other times, there will be noone in sight and the thing will go crazy.

Old 12-19-2007, 01:06 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: 96A4Owner

lol, bounce off human flesh? these waves can bounce off of anything, and even though you may think the range on them isn't that far because doors won't open from people or objects far away, they still emit small amounts of waves for a good enough distance for your detector to pick up. Houses emit alot of crap that detectors pick up too, i have the best cobra out right now, and it still doesn't work that great. There have been a number of times where i'll pass a cop that's sitting in a parking lot, and my detector will be completely silent. While other times, there will be noone in sight and the thing will go crazy.
because its a cobra ;p

Quick Reply: Radar Detector