Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radar Detector

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 03:07 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Radar Detector

ORIGINAL: spectrum

I over heard someone say in florida that cops patrol speed from helicopters!
im not going to say they dont but lets looks at the economics of speed patroling from helicopters/airplanes..if you rent a helicopter its at least $1500 per hour (for a good one)

Decent bell 209 Jetranger $250,000
Pilot salary $40-50k
fuel 75 gallons per hours = $300+ per hour in fuel
Maintenance = $$$

compare that to each speeding ticket you write $150-200 plus costs of court and all that good stuff, its just not feasible..... but its the government so they have pissed money away on worse stuff, so i wont say that they dont do it or havent tried it

Old 12-14-2007, 03:07 PM
2nd Gear

helicopters dont go past 145

Old 12-14-2007, 03:17 PM

lolllz, anyway, i have a cobra xrs9930, and it's definitely not worth the 130 bucks. The original price for the damn thing is 230 on the cobra website, what a rip! I'm kinda wishing that i went with v1 now, so after i do my exhaust, tint them winders, that's what i'm gonna get.

Old 12-14-2007, 03:20 PM
1st Gear

makes sense nice breakdown. I always look up just in case

Old 12-14-2007, 04:01 PM
1st Gear

This is the one I just purchased. I didn't find it necessary to spend $400+ on a V1.

http://www.radarbusters.com/radar-de...rdetector1.cfm

I get alerts when they're no where to be seen; great detector.

Old 12-14-2007, 04:02 PM

ORIGINAL: apr_a4

helicopters dont go past 145
But theres no curves in the flight path of a chopper. Yes, they are slower then most people realize, but even on a bike you must constantly slow down then speed up. Unless your in Arizona on some 80 mile straight road with not a car in sight and not a cop within 20 miles your toast. Civic,CBR600, or 200+ mph GT4. Then theres the problem of line of sight, they can see you for miles. On that note, yes i've had bikes blow past me like i was sittin still and disapear outta sight while flyin over the GSP in our clubs lil 172's and 152. Not often or likely, it's gonna be real hard 2 outrun a chopper. Next time on a bike or in a car try and maintain 145 mph for 5 minutes straight. IT's not gonna happen,roads curve,traffic is unpredicatable and you can see for many miles with the naked eye alone,forget about FLIR and other crap they got. Best defense against a chopper is a scanner. Saved my *** on the Garden state parkway.

Old 12-14-2007, 04:05 PM

ORIGINAL: Papachristou

im not going to say they dont but lets looks at the economics of speed patroling from helicopters/airplanes..if you rent a helicopter its at least $1500 per hour (for a good one)

Decent bell 209 Jetranger $250,000
Pilot salary $40-50k
fuel 75 gallons per hours = $300+ per hour in fuel
Maintenance = $$$

compare that to each speeding ticket you write $150-200 plus costs of court and all that good stuff, its just not feasible..... but its the government so they have pissed money away on worse stuff, so i wont say that they dont do it or havent tried it
They use em in states like Oklahoma,along the Blue Ridge Parkway, along Palomar,in NY,personaly had 1 try and clip me on the GSP but due to my supporting mods of the Scanner and CB i heard the staties and bird chattin. Don't be naive the tickets more then pay for the flight time.

Old 12-14-2007, 04:14 PM

if tickets issued from air would a detector pick up the signal?
Pigs in the air don't use radar. They calculate your speed from mile marker to mile marker. It is highly innacurate and done by using some college drop outs math skills and slow reaction time with a stop watch. Do you think you could accurately squeeze a stopwatch at the exact second a car crosses a tiny lil green spec of a milemarker from the air,squeeze it again as the car passes the next mile marker, calculate it out and still fly and communicate with ATC? Now rember,the plane/chopper is bouncing and movin in a foward direction constantly, thus changing your view point of the 2 marks. To put it in a practical experimant look at your volt gauge(with the car stopped of course) now read it sitting in your normal driving position, note its position. Now lean to your right, move your eyes directly dead on in front of it. It will have shifted a bit to the left. Now imagine doin that at 50-150 mph at 1000 feet bouncin around. It is inacurate as hell and is mostly done for revenue generation with a piggy sittin down the road wavin everyone over and writing tickets like an assembly line. I gotta find some articles i had about 1 particular incident where even the cops down the road writing the ticket were like WTF?

Old 12-14-2007, 04:18 PM

ORIGINAL: ItsThat2.0T

This is the one I just purchased. I didn't find it necessary to spend $400+ on a V1.

http://www.radarbusters.com/radar-de...rdetector1.cfm

I get alerts when they're no where to be seen; great detector.
Could be stores. Just rember you won't see every pig. GEt a scanner and CB and you'll be surprised how many pigs manage to hide out of sight. Also the detectors will pick up signal from up to over a mile away depending on the detector. There are many streets within a 1 mile radius of your position. A lot of cops around here drive with em on because they are oppurtunistic money makers lookin to bang some poor schmo out. I hate it cause it drives my detector mad and their almost mile away on the scanner with some guy pulled over.

Old 12-14-2007, 04:39 PM
1st Gear

you get the ticket and then its mailed?

Quick Reply: Radar Detector