Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

quick mods.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 04:27 PM
2nd Gear
Default quick mods.

within the next few week i plan on starting to upgrade the turbo in my car. i kno first off i need a boost gauge, but then where do i go from there? i plan on doing one mod every week or two, and i plan to get a boost controler, a bov(or some type of diverter valve), FMIC, turbo timer, and a bigger/colder intake. im not sure which order i should try and get these parts, or if puttin one part in before another would actually take away hp(if that makes sense). so basically im just asking what order i should put these parts in and what else should i add to the list. keep in mind these are just some small mods i wanna do to boost up the hp, i kno exhaust, high flow cats, bigger turbo, and cams would all increase hp, but those are pretty big mods in my book so those will have to wait till later. right now im trying to keep it in the under $200 a week range so any suggestions/ advice will help. and in case anyone is interested i also put a alpine head unit and 2 12" rocksford subs in the car.

Old 08-04-2007, 04:32 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: quick mods.

Chip it first that will be the best bang for the buck for a start.

Old 08-06-2007, 01:03 PM
2nd Gear

yeah i found an APR chip for $299 that im probably gunna end up getting, but its gunna take me a week or two to get the money for it. im also putting in a manual boost controler that i found for $30. im probably gunna turn it up to around 17lbs of boost. do i need to start putting in higher grade gas as soon as i raise the boost?

Old 08-06-2007, 01:18 PM
4th Gear

Are you going BT or not?

If you are, dont waste your money on a chip, you'll need a different one when you replace the turbo.

start here..... https://www.audiforums.com/m_393146/tm.htm

If you arent going to do BT for a long time, all you need is a chip, exhaust, and drop in k&n panel filter.

A cone will hurt performance until BT, panel will be an improvement. No need for a MBC or IC either. The chip will put your boost around 17 without it.

Anyway, search all this till your fingers bleed, so you know what you are getting into with a BT setup. Theres at lot of info at the top of the main page also.

If you chip it, you should be runnig 93 octane. Unless your chip is a 91 octane program.

Old 08-06-2007, 01:45 PM
2nd Gear

thanks i read that entire page and it helped out a lot. it got me nervious though cause you said most of the problems happen between 60-80k miles, and i just hit 60000 last week. my steering wheel squeeks and my friend said it was something common in Audi's and cost about 150 for the part. is this something i should fix asap or is this just something that if i can deal with the squeeking, it can wait a little while? and also i want to put fresh oil and filter in the car so for a stock b5 1.8 what is the best oil and filter combo for the engine, and also at 60000 miles should i start puttin additives in the oil or not yet? and my last question is what does BT stand for?

Old 08-06-2007, 01:59 PM
4th Gear

BT= big turbo.

Need to describe the "squeek" more. If the steering is loose, its bad tie-rod ends, about 100 for the parts to replace with heavy-duty TRE's.

use Mobile 1 0w40 oil, and either a mann, mahle, or mobile 1 LARGE filter.

Old 08-06-2007, 02:18 PM
1st Gear

Euro-spec Amsoil is rediculously expensive, but (I believe) is the best. Keep on top of your maintenence intervals and you shouldnt have any major problems. (and if you do, i'm sure we can help you out)

Old 08-06-2007, 03:03 PM
1st Gear

A cone will hurt performance until BT, panel will be an improvement.

i dont know about that one, i have a cone in my car with the stock turbo and i deffinitely noticed an improvement

Old 08-08-2007, 03:49 PM
2nd Gear

cool thanks for the info. and as far as the squeeking noise, its only when im in first or reverse and driving slow, like parking or something, and it sounds almost like the wheel is crying. my friend said something about a bering i think, but im not sure what it is. and the noise comes from inside the car not the engine/ suspension.

Old 08-08-2007, 03:57 PM
4th Gear

Power steering pump?

Describe the location from inside the vehicle where it sounds like it is coming from.

Quick Reply: quick mods.