Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions to keep you on your toes

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 08:56 AM
Default Questions to keep you on your toes

Sure maybe I could look in a manual, but what fun is that!

Couple of questions for my 2002 A4:

1. Drivers side rear wheel-well has an air filter in it- whats that for and does it need to get changed?

2. Trunk- passengers side where the access hole is for removing the tailight screw there is a red "rip chord" which attaches to some sort of actuatorbehind the pass. side carpet paneling. Whats that for?

Old 01-10-2008, 09:42 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Questions to keep you on your toes

The access hole is inside the trunk right by the tail light (there is a little circle indentation). You have to pry the circle cap back to access the screw. As for the air filter and rip cord, I have no idea.

Old 01-10-2008, 10:54 AM
2nd Gear

i dont think there is an air filter in your rear wheel well, someone could have cut it to be vented or something.... do you have a pic?

rip cord sounds like someone has messed up the emergency trunk release that keeps you from locking people in your trunk or it could be the gas door release?

Old 01-10-2008, 01:40 PM
2nd Gear

yeah it sounds like the chord to pull if you get locked in a trunk. the best way to find out is to shove a buddy in your trunk and see if it pops open when he pulls it.

Old 01-10-2008, 01:54 PM
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: tealetm

Sure maybe I could look in a manual, but what fun is that!

Couple of questions for my 2002 A4:

1. Drivers side rear wheel-well has an air filter in it- whats that for and does it need to get changed? never heard of that. got a pic?

2. Trunk- passengers side where the access hole is for removing the tailight screw there is a red "rip chord" which attaches to some sort of actuatorbehind the pass. side carpet paneling. Whats that for? manual trunk open from the inside. basically so people cant keep live people trapped in their trunks anymore

Old 01-10-2008, 02:40 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: 01afour

yeah it sounds like the chord to pull if you get locked in a trunk. the best way to find out is to shove a buddy in your trunk and see if it pops open when he pulls it.
And if he doesent get out leave him there it adds HP!

hahaha

Old 01-10-2008, 03:36 PM

Nah, why would the rip chord be for the trunk if there is an release handle on the inside of the trunk itself?Ibet its a release for the gas door now that I think moreabout it.

The filter is definately factory- you have to take the carpet wheel well liner out to see it.

Old 01-10-2008, 03:52 PM

+1 for the gas door release

Old 01-10-2008, 04:34 PM

ORIGINAL: tealetm

Nah, why would the rip chord be for the trunk if there is an release handle on the inside of the trunk itself?Ibet its a release for the gas door now that I think moreabout it.

The filter is definately factory- you have to take the carpet wheel well liner out to see it.
maybe the filter is a breather/overflow for gas?

Old 01-10-2008, 11:53 PM

i could be wrong about your but mine has a handle on the inside but its not to open it, its so you dont have to put your hand on the outside of the truck to shut it you just kinda grab that handle and pull down, be sure to let go or you will have more than your buddy trapped in the trunk lol... and its funny you guys said that because the day i got my car i was showin it to my girl and we noticed that and shes like i wonder if the emergency release works and before i could say idk she was in the trunk shutting it... haha

Quick Reply: Questions to keep you on your toes