Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questionable Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 04:22 PM
1st Gear
Default Questionable Reliability

I've heard issues with Audi's having electrical problems. How about mechanically? Has anyone had any minor to massive engine problems? How about the I-4 or the V6? Does anyone have any links?

TIA.

Old 05-18-2005, 05:37 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Questionable Reliability

nothing more than the typical car as long as you keep it up to date with maintenance. If you fail to maintain it as required you will have a lot of things start to fail on you. Audi's require love.

Old 05-18-2005, 08:20 PM
1st Gear

Besides regular oil changes, I've only recently started to properly care for my car. It's a '98 avant quattro 2.8 30v. I've had no engine troubles yet. knock knock (says my knuckles to the wood.)

Old 05-19-2005, 09:36 AM
4th Gear

The 1.8T has had problems with sludging causing loss of oil pressure IF oil changes were neglected.

Also the timing belt may not last as long as audi marketing department wants. Most people change at least by 80K miles. Afther that you may be on borrowed time.

Old 05-19-2005, 04:20 PM
1st Gear

So....nothing major as of yet?

How about the minor things? I know that BMW's suffer from small things breaking down inside the car, mechanical/electrical goodies they put in.

BTW, where are A4's built?

Old 05-19-2005, 05:05 PM
1st Gear

Nothing major as far as the engine. The other stuff. ****. I've had a bunch of the bells and whistles crap out on me. Nothing that keeps me from driving it though.

LCD no longer works.
Cruise control no longer works.
Sun roof doesn't want to close anymore so I don't use it.

Old 05-19-2005, 06:23 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: jukeit

Nothing major as far as the engine. The other stuff. ****. I've had a bunch of the bells and whistles crap out on me. Nothing that keeps me from driving it though.

LCD no longer works.
Cruise control no longer works.
Sun roof doesn't want to close anymore so I don't use it.

Even though you don't use those things....that's pretty serious. I'm sure it'd cost a pretty penny to fix.

Speakin of which, how does Audi repairs/parts cost in comparison to say....Benz or Bimmer?

Old 05-19-2005, 07:01 PM
Site Moderator

thats not typical tho. I never had any trouble with sunroof or cruise control on either of my 2 audis. LCD has a funny line going through it, but its barely noticable.

control arms tend to get squeaky by 80K. Audi repair is comparable to Bimmer.

Old 05-19-2005, 07:29 PM
2nd Gear

The A4 is built in Ingolstadt Germany.

Old 05-19-2005, 08:37 PM
1st Gear

My car is two years older than the one you have listed (not sure about your other Audi). May want to consider getting rid of it now. Just kidding.

There is a post on here just in the past two days about a flaky cruise control. A different member chimed in on the post stating their cruise control was flaky also. My cruise control started flaking out intermittently and finally just stopped working all together.

As far as the sunroof, I've read multiple posts on sunroof problems although most had to do with the sunroof opening a quarter of the way on its own. Not as serious of a problem as mine.

I'm not saying this stuff is typical. Given the number of members vs the number of similar problems, the ratio is pretty low. It's something I would look for though.

Rush....when you test drive the vehicle, abuse the sun roof and cruise control. Drive the car for more than 20 min and make sure the LCD is still working well. That's my advice for what it's worth.

Quick Reply: Questionable Reliability