Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about Chips and Turbos

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 05:31 AM
1st Gear
Default Question about Chips and Turbos

So I did a search on the forums and couldn't find the answer to my questions. So I thought I would ask the forum. I am looking for a 2002 Audi A4 1.8t Quattro. I have found a few and am waiting to see how the prices will work out. Anyways, I have been looking for upgrades as I want to improve the performance of the car. However I am totally new to modding and am thoroughly confused.

Taps stage 1 upgrade is about $650 and claims 48 HP. But they list HP improvement to 198 which is only 28 better based off the 170 stock engine am I right? Is that something to look into. Would I be happy with that. I just want noticeable performance increase for under $1000 right now.

However, everywhere else says you have to upgrade the Turbos to K04 and therefore spend over $2000 to get the turbo and change the exhaust. So why is that so much more if TAP will give similar performance upgrades?

Again I have no idea what I am talking about so any help and clarification would be very much appreciated...and I will look forward to joining this brethren in the future.

Old 02-24-2005, 11:44 AM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Question about Chips and Turbos

TAP just changes the software to take full advantage of the K03 turbo
The K04 is a larger turbo and will give better performance than a chipped K03.

take a look at www.goapr.com and www.awe-tuning.com for chips

Old 02-24-2005, 12:12 PM

Hey brrman do you have the giac chip with the stock setting? Does this work well for you and what hp torque gains did you have? do you think you really gain 30?

Old 02-24-2005, 12:41 PM
1st Gear

Why is goapr's Stage I+ chip twice the price of the Stage I? Also, in the Dyno test why does AWE's show HP at 130 stock? Other sites have it higher...like APR has it at 170 HP? Thank you!

Old 02-24-2005, 12:46 PM

because the stage 1+chip comes with different injectors for the B6 A4's and the horse poer #'s u are talking about the 130 are probley wheel horse power #'s where your car says it has 170 it is really only putting down 130 that even sounds high because if you have Quattro you lose a lot of power from the crank to the wheels

Old 02-24-2005, 01:50 PM
1st Gear

Okay, thanks for clearing that up...now I have read that the Audi's exhaust system is better than average for stock and although is recommended as an upgrade for the Stage I+ but not necessary...would you be okay with stock? Also, if I did upgrade to let's say APR's exhaust would I gain more power that way as well? Also, I assume getting a KN air filter is the first thing one should do as well...

Also, if let's say I was to go get the K04 turbo a year from now and add it as a mod what kind of difference would that make? Would I have to get a new chip? Would it be even worth it then?

Old 02-24-2005, 02:18 PM

The stock exhaust is Ok I guess for now but you will notice more power when u do do an exhaust upgrade just remember when u do do a exhaust upgrade to get the downpipe too

For the K&N filter they are not nessary and they have been known to make the mass air flow sensor faulty too much oil on them mod I would sudject is a new diverter valve if you are gettin a chip the stock diverter valves will not hold that much boost

the K04 is a nice upgrade but you will need to get a different chip again If you wanted to do this in the future I would get the GIAC chio now cause when u get the K04 GIAC gives you a discount for the old GIAC chip definetly worth it in my own opioion I myself didn't even bother with getting a chip at all I just went ahead and got the K04

also if you do get the K04 you will need and Exhaust upgrade for sure

Old 02-24-2005, 02:23 PM

sorry 1 more thing I see u haven't pursched a car yet if you want the biggest bang for your buck get a 2000 A4 1.8TQM with a K04 GIAC maes the strongest file for this vehicle spiking at 28 pounds of boost and in my own opinion the old A4's look nicer than the new ones

Old 02-24-2005, 02:25 PM

Sorry juist one more think thinking again if you are going to be spending the cash some people want for a B6 A4 you could even get a nice 2000-2001 S4 for that kind of money

B5 1996-2001
B6 2002-2005
B7 2005.5 and on

Old 02-24-2005, 05:13 PM
1st Gear

I appreciate all the responses cl, you have been very helpful. Unfortunately I cannot get a car any older than a 2002 and am currently looking at a 2002 Audi A4 1.8t in Dolphin Gray fully loaded I just have to wait until this afternoon to get final finance approval.

So, if you were me, and now let's say I had $500-1000 to start with and the ability to maybe add another $500 or so later on down the road what order would you do things in? APR Stage I chip with new DV? Then getting and APR exhaust later?

Also, I thought you had to chip the K04 turbo? Would I get gains without chipping it?

Again thank you for the help...

Quick Reply: Question about Chips and Turbos