Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

putting a car away for a long time

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 10:27 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: putting a car away for a long time

Read this very good info. Also, leaving the car on stands with the wheels hanging puts unnecessary load on the suspension parts, and the shocks may corrode and stick. Jacking up the car only prevents the tires from getting flat spots but I think its better to replace tires than suspension parts, I dunno. If possible use some bald tires that you know you're gonna replace anyways or get tire cradles for your low profile tires. Theres so much more you could do but its alot of work. I know when getting ready for deployment you have way too much to get done. Goodluck out there, I'll be leaving again soon also, for 12-18 months though

Old 01-09-2008, 11:16 AM
1st Gear

OK do not listen to what he said make shore every thing is full gas tank is a must the gas tank needs to be full to prevent condensation build up in the take witch would result in water in the tank your oil,power steering,tranny fluid,and brake fluid,will be fine as long as they are not being exposed to high temps and dirt they will not brake down or spoil put some kind of gas saver in the gas and take the battery out and your car will fire right up when you get back your tiers may get flat spots in them but after they heat up and a few times driving the car they will go away I do this with my vette and my cutlass all the time and have yet to have any problems good luck out there and stay safe.
ORIGINAL: Rhinop21

If I were you I would just drain all fluids, I mean everything, down to the gas in your tank, and the wind shield wiper fluid. Then when you get back fill everything up again your car should fire right up.
Ryan

Old 01-09-2008, 04:48 PM
1st Gear

I got one more good ? for everyone. If I take the battery out and close the hood I cant reopen the hood with out getting in the car to pull the lever. Byt if the battery is out how would my doors open I think the car needs power to use the remote right and my alarm would not be set. Dose this make any sense to anyone.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:17 PM
4th Gear

Welll the system is pneumatic but I don't know if the alarm signal is dependent the battery. You could open the hood and remove the negative, then try to lock/unlock using the key in the door. It won't lock but you'll probably here the pump or something. Either way the alarm won't be set. I don't think you want to put the car in storage with the alarm set either.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:29 PM
2nd Gear

yeah you can always use the key to open the door and the hood latch is a cable, so that shouldnt be a problem. way to think ahead though haha.