Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

putting a car away for a long time

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 10:39 PM
1st Gear
Default putting a car away for a long time

Iam going to be leaving on deployment very soon and was wondering what the best thing i can do to put my car up for 6-9 months and have it start up ok. My 1st time leaving a car this long thanks.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:41 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: putting a car away for a long time

disconnect the battery
put that stabil crap in the gas tank
put some moisture absorber containers in the car as well

Old 01-08-2008, 10:42 PM
2nd Gear

If I were you I would just drain all fluids, I mean everything, down to the gas in your tank, and the wind shield wiper fluid. Then when you get back fill everything up again your car should fire right up.
Ryan

Old 01-08-2008, 10:42 PM
1st Gear

Have someone drive it 4 you once a month...I would atlease. Gas that sits that long and is then ran after 9 months later, tends to get gunky. Or leave it sittin' empty ha! IDK, that's just what I would do.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:45 PM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: Rhinop21

If I were you I would just drain all fluids, I mean everything, down to the gas in your tank, and the wind shield wiper fluid. Then when you get back fill everything up again your car should fire right up.
Ryan
thats a terrible idea, all of those are petrolium based, which prevent water from absorbing in the metal components, everything will be corroded when you return

leave the fluids in, and change them when you return

Old 01-08-2008, 10:48 PM
2nd Gear

Hmm thats odd... ^Thats probably a better idea. Leave the fluids in and sit for a year. This way you can maximize the amount of gunk and crap that gets stuck in your fluids.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:53 PM
Administrator

I can't speak for the other stuff, but the oil will be fine and the fuel additive will keep the fuel from going sour on you. Wiper fluid, well, I wouldn't really know how that would break down and damage anything.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:56 PM
2nd Gear

I guess I was exagerating a bit on the wiper fluid...

Old 01-09-2008, 08:44 AM
1st Gear

The very best of luck to you dudek12. My Uncle used to go away for 6-9months at a clip as well. I took care of his baby's (cars) while he was gone, if you can have some one do the same i would say it would probally be best. And if you'd like, swap out all the fluids and look into a "seafoam" treatment when you get back, I hear its a great engine reviver. Be good over there man.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:35 AM
1st Gear

fuel additive and have someone start it once a month for you and war up completely. that will keep everything just fine. Put a couple of tubs of baking soda inside the car, that will keep the moisture down and eliminate that musty smell. For storage less than a year, that will take car of it for you.

For storage beyond that, drain the fuel, pull the sparkplugs and add 1/4 oz of oil to each cylinder. Cycle the motor a few turns (still with no gas) to coat the cylinder walls to prevent corrosion and then reinstall the plugs. get the car on jack stands to eliminate tire rot and flat spotting.

Hope that helps. I've done more than 1 car each way, and it's worked great. Your car will welcome you home with open arms.

- Ryan

Quick Reply: putting a car away for a long time