Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For the pros, what I am trying to do with speakers

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 02:26 AM
2nd Gear
Default For the pros, what I am trying to do with speakers

This is going hard/fun but this is what I am going to be undertaking in my A4 99.5 B5. I want to replace all the stock Bose speakers with aftermarket ones. Also since I like the look of the Symphony HU I am going to be leaving that intact. I have a LOC that I am going to splice into the rear speaker wires and then will be run to an Audiocontrol Matrix which takes the signal and boosts it, splits it into 6 channels, and sends it to the amplfiers. I know a lot about car audio so that is not what I am asking about. Since this is the first Audi I have owned and have only had it for 2 weeks I don't know much about how it is put together. I know that some of these questions can be searched for which I did for the last 2 hours but found many mixed answers. Please reply to the questions according to there numbers. Any and all input is greatly appreciated!

1. Is there a factory Bose amp somewhere, if so is there a way to disable it?

2. Is there any crossovers set on the factory system?

3. Where can I get speaker adapters, if at all? I found the ones here from searching the forum: http://www.nexxia.co.uk/Speaker_adaptors/audi.htm They look great but.... OUT OF STOCK! And I can't seem to find anything else.

4. I hear that the stock speaker sizes are 4-4.5" in the front doors, 5.25" in rear doors and 6.5" in the rear deck? Is that correct information that I found?

If anyone has some insight into this or knows where I can go to get insight into this it would be greatly appreciated. I will post pics when I am done. Thanks all.

Old 11-18-2006, 11:05 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: For the pros, what I am trying to do with speakers

Out of my league.

1. Bose amplifier is supposed to be on the driver's side trunk under the parcel shelf

Old 11-18-2006, 03:37 PM

1) The factory bose amp is located on the drivers side of the rear deck. If memory serves correct, it is mounted on a bolt in bracket right next to the speaker.

2) There are no active crossovers beyond the signal processing of the bose amp

3)The audi bose system has speaker adapters on the rear deck, adapting the stock 5 1/4" hole to the bose 6" woofers. Note: the bose system came with rear door speakers and 6" woofers on the rear deck. The non-bose system deleted the rear door speakers and came with 5 1/4" full range speakers on the rear deck

4) The front doors came with 4" woofers mounted low with a separate tweeter mounted high. The rear deck is as described above in 3), I have not had the rear door panels off yet, so I cannot speak to them. I'll check later this weekend as I'm curious now

Hope this helps

Old 11-18-2006, 05:43 PM
2nd Gear

That was helpful both of you guys! Thank you!

I am just wondering how there could be no crossovers set if the original rear deck speakers are mid-woofers. You wouldn't want to send a full range signal to those. Unless I heard there is some kind of resistors that are on the speakers wires that are like crosovers. Is that the case?

Old 11-18-2006, 05:50 PM
4th Gear

i dont know if thats the case for the audi bose system...but i recall when i was putting speakers in my old car and ordering them through crutchfield, then offered and inline resistor for the front speakers to block out the lower frequency's, because the front speakers were only like 3.5 inches

Old 11-18-2006, 05:54 PM
1st Gear

do you guys know if i can put an aftemarket cd player in my car and connect the line out of the head unit to the input of the bose amp?as i understand it all of the bose systems speakers are powered off of the amp in the trunk???

Old 11-18-2006, 10:45 PM
1st Gear

Bose amp is in the left side trunk next to the alarm siren.
Cannot be turned off, must be bypassed by rewire/new wire to your new speakers.
There is an EQ on the symphony head unit. Crossovers are done with resisitors on the speakers themselves can be seen best at cover of rear deck speakers from the trunk.
Havent taken off the doors to get inside yet so i dont know.
But i have read that fronts and rears are 5.25 while rear deck 6".
Also bose fronts are actually a comp set with a mid and tweet in the door. tweet is higher up about the lock/unlock button with a mid by the bottom corner. IMO this causes horrible imaging when replacing so you might want to look at some kicks if your going for SQ.