Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems with instrument cluster swap...

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 02:30 PM
Default Problems with instrument cluster swap...

Hi.

I'm having a few problems fitting a new instrument cluster and wondered if anyone could offer any ideas.

I have a 1999 1.8T Sport A4 with the driver information display. The display was losing lines (both horizontal and vertical) and so I have purchased a second hand one from ebay, along with a vagcom cable and software.

I've fitted the new dash and programmed my key to it and all looks ok (i.e. the immob light goes out etc), but when I start the car it dies after a second or so. I've checked the error codes and it looks like its an immobiliser problem, but cant fathom it out to save my life. Any ideas? I'm guessing I'm missing something simple but just cant find any info on it. If i put my old dash back in and start it (with a different key) it all works fine.

I went to the local stealer today to find out what the difference between the two dashes are (one ends in a "g" the other a "j", and was told the "j" version is for diesels (which is an option in vagcom for the recode).

Am tearing my hair out here - especially because the only key that will still work with the old dash is the emergency plastic one!!!! (I guess because i re-programmed the other key to the new dash).

Hope someone can help.

thanks.

Old 12-23-2006, 11:52 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Problems with instrument cluster swap...

The new instrument cluster needs to be programed to the ecm. Thats why the light goes out. You only programed the key to the cluster so the cluster thinks everything is all good. The ecm however is looking for your old cluster to tell it to stay running. But it doenst see that signal from your old cluster so its shutting the engine off.

Old 12-23-2006, 02:21 PM

Hi.

Thanks for that - it kind of makes sense now Any idea how I'd go about this - I presume I'm going to need the SKC for the ECU - and if I do I presume the only way to find it is to go to the audi stealer and pay £££'s?

Thanks.

Old 12-25-2006, 12:37 AM
3rd Gear

I dont think it can be done with a vagcom.