Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with steering rack

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 10:24 AM
1st Gear
Default Problem with steering rack

I have a 1996 A4,, the car leaks by the steering boots, I am new with the maintenance of this car, so I add regular steering oil, then I learned that I should use the Audi steering oil to prevent this problem. When I add the oil, the car did not leak but after a 30 min drive the car starts leaking, do you think that the problem is the oil, or should I just replace the rack, but why leaks when the car is hot.
I have read that there is a chance to repair the steering rack. Anybody knows how to. Besides audi oil wich american brand can be use?
Thanks
Norberto

Old 07-01-2007, 12:05 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Problem with steering rack

Steering rack replacement is to be dreaded. Not only does it cost an *** load, there is an *** load of labor involved. Steering rack replacement= Double *** load. I would say try running some power steering fluid stop leak to buy you time, but Im not sure if that could affect the pump badly. Try not to run it dry before replacing the rack, or youll end up having to replace the pump too. depending on where exactly the leak is coming from I guess it might be able to be fixed.

Old 07-01-2007, 03:21 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Problem with steering rack

don't run the power steering leak stop. it is a great idea for other cars but not for audi's. you got into this mess by using non audi specific fluids. so lets stop that right now. like Onepoint8tee said, it can/may affect the powersteering pump with the thicker fluid that it is designed for. so there would be another few hundred bucks+few hours of labor to replace that.. and this is all assuming that your pump doesn't need to be replaced already due to the non audi specific hydraulic fluid you have been running..

i have replaced the steering rack on my 2001 1.8t.. and at first i called the dealer and quoted out a price for a new rack and labor. HA, BIG MISTAKE! it was like $800+ for the rack and another $500+++ for the labor.. which is rediculous because it is not that hard to remove/install..

with the assistance of my Bentley manual, my brother(nissan master tech) and i did the removal of the rack in about an hour. then installed the new rack, primed the system with new Audi hydraulic fluid from the dealer, and did an alignment in about 2 more hours.. so total of 3 or so hours. give yourself a bit more time if you don't have a lift and pneumatic tools. but it is not that hard..

instead of spending $800 at the dealer for a new rack. i did the next, and the, best thing. i bought a remanufacturedrack off the internet. which is basically a new rack anyways. and you get a 3 year warrenty on it. and i spent a totall of $350 on the rack..

so in all. in replaced my steering rack for a bit over $400 and a saturday morniing.. not at all as bad as i originally thought after i got off the phone with thte dealer..

here is where i got the rack - http://carsteering.com/partsdisplay/1996_Audi/A4.html

it gives you 2 different options for your car.one with the steering strut, and the other without.i don't know which you have. and the only way i would be able to find out is if i could look at your rack. you could give your vin to a dealer and they should be able to tell you which one you have..

good luck

Old 01-02-2010, 11:14 AM
Default Which steering rack to buy: damper or no?

Sean 1.8t wrote:

"it gives you 2 different options for your car.one with the steering strut, and the other without.i don't know which you have. and the only way i would be able to find out is if i could look at your rack. you could give your vin to a dealer and they should be able to tell you which one you have.."

I too need to order a steering rack. How can I tell which rack to order if the dealer is of no help? I am buying a '97 A4 with a known bad rack. I want to order the part online, but am unsure regarding the Steering strut. Is the strut the same as a steering damper? If so, is the damper visible?

Any descriptions would be greatly appreciated.

mrad.