Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

probably going to get destroyed for this

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 03:18 PM
1st Gear
Default probably going to get destroyed for this

hey all I have a 96 2.8QM. just about to hit 130,000 on it. Got a new tranny at 114,000. thought my t-belt had been changed, was talking to my father and he doesn't have any record of it ever being changed, cant remember whether it had ever gone in for the job or not. if it hadn't been changed by now do you think it would have already gone? im thinking that it has been done, just because im almost 45,000 miles over due for the change, and the belt should have gone by now if it wasn't replaced. Any help is appreciated thanks.

Old 02-07-2007, 03:25 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: probably going to get destroyed for this

was it serviced at audi? if so they changed way back around 75K.

my guess is yes it was or you would have bent some valves by now.

Old 02-07-2007, 03:34 PM
1st Gear

not always, i have a friend his a4 has 130,000 and he asked me if he should change his t/b he had that car for aver 5 years, b/t couldn’t be done before him. he still driving it it’s all depends on your driving and i think climate condition you live in.

Old 02-07-2007, 05:24 PM
1st Gear

I have a heavy foot, drive the car kinda hard. im one of those launch at every traffic light, hit 60 asap kinda drivers. I figure with the agressive driving i do, if the belt had not been changed by now, the tb woulda snapped and the valves would all be bent up by now, and the car would simply not run very well. We got the car a couple of years back with just under a 100,000 miles on it. didn't get any service records with the car, as we bought it from a dealership that got the car traded in. We were new to audis at the time, and didnt do any research at all. dumb move on my part otherwise i woulda bought a 1.8T (turbo/mod envy) and def atleast gotten a tipshift tranny instead of the basic auto tranny.

Old 02-07-2007, 05:49 PM
2nd Gear

well if it was changed @ 75k like it is supposed to, if you are @ 130,000 you are getting close to needing to change it again anyways. i would say if you have the cash it wouldn't hurt, and remember that those water pumps should be changed @ 105,000 ish as well

Old 02-07-2007, 06:17 PM
3rd Gear

Just change it - then you KNOW...

Old 02-07-2007, 06:20 PM

^^^ totally agree if in doubt change it

Old 02-07-2007, 06:34 PM
2nd Gear

Would a Carfax report list where the vehicle was sold? If so, maybe you can hunt it down and see if the dealer still has any service records. Helpful not only for the T-belt but any other recalls or particular issues that may have come up with the car. Bought mine used at a Cevrolet dealership, but the local Audi dealership has all the records from new. It's very good info to have, sort of the life story of your car.

Old 02-07-2007, 06:40 PM
18T
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: fobyulous

hey all I have a 96 2.8QM. just about to hit 130,000 on it. Got a new tranny at 114,000. thought my t-belt had been changed, was talking to my father and he doesn't have any record of it ever being changed, cant remember whether it had ever gone in for the job or not. if it hadn't been changed by now do you think it would have already gone? im thinking that it has been done, just because im almost 45,000 miles over due for the change, and the belt should have gone by now if it wasn't replaced. Any help is appreciated thanks.
actually technically youre only overdue 26k miles.. audi wants you to change it at 104k

Old 02-07-2007, 07:51 PM
4th Gear

I'd change it now to be safe. If no one changed their belt, at
how many miles would half be broken? This would be
the mean. There would also be a standard deviation.I don't
think any of us has the answer.

Quick Reply: probably going to get destroyed for this