Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steerin System Flush Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 12:14 AM
1st Gear
Default Power Steerin System Flush Help

Whats up guys this is my first post. I saw this sight so i thoight it could help me. I need to drain my whole power steering system and replace it with the new hydraulic fluid. Does any one know how to do this?

Old 01-11-2007, 12:24 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Power Steerin System Flush Help

You disconnect the return line from the pump, allow time to drain, refill, start car and have someoneturn steering wheel from side to side (all the way to each side)untill no more bubbles come up through the resevoir, let car warm up, shut off car for 5min. Start car, have someone turn steering wheel from side to side again making sure all air has excaped from the rack lines and pump, and make sure fluid is at correct level.

Old 01-11-2007, 12:32 AM
1st Gear

thanks but which line is the return line?

Old 01-11-2007, 12:56 AM
2nd Gear

Sorry I shouldn't call it a return line on an audi because the resevoir is not attached to the pump (I don't work for Audi and toyotas setups are a little different) it is a low pressure line. After taking a look at my 1999 a4 I realize it would be easier and better to disconnect the return linecomming from the rack where it connectsto the radiator on the driver side bottom of the radiator. There is 2 smalllines there both with clamps, one coming from the rack and one returning to the resevoir, either will work and fill as directed.

Old 01-11-2007, 01:00 AM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: tractioncontrol

Sorry I shouldn't call it a return line on an audi because the resevoir is not attached to the pump (I don't work for Audi and toyotas setups are a little different) it is a low pressure line. After taking a look at my 1999 a4 I realize it would be easier and better to disconnect the return linecomming from the rack where it connectsto the radiator on the driver side bottom of the radiator. There is 2 smalllines there both with clamps, one coming from the rack and one returning to the resevoir, either will work and fill as directed.
Are you talking about the hoses that go to/from the power steering cooler in front of the AC condensor? i cant picture what youre talking about if thats not it.

Old 01-11-2007, 01:00 AM
1st Gear

The power steering system runs through the radiator? Our power steering systems have a factory cooler?

SMo'

Old 01-11-2007, 01:01 AM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: SMoLiK

The power steering system runs through the radiator? Our power steering systems have a factory cooler?

SMo'
I beat you by 1 second your son of a bitch! haha

Old 01-11-2007, 01:06 AM
2nd Gear

Is it a cooler? I can't see it that well laying on the floor but yes that's what I am talking about.

Thanks for the correction one8.

Old 01-11-2007, 01:10 AM
Site Moderator

coolness.
Just wait till its time for a timing belt change... It alters your entire life.

Old 01-11-2007, 01:15 AM
2nd Gear

I heard, is it really necessary to remove the bumper and all?

Quick Reply: Power Steerin System Flush Help