Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Post deployment car trouble

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 09:36 AM
Site Moderator
Default Post deployment car trouble

I just got back from the sandbox and my car is acting a little weird. I was gone for 70 days.

First thing is that the battery is toast. It will not hold a charge. Happened to my Pathfinder last deployment.

Once started it was idling very rough. I have it a minute to see if it would clear, but no dice.

Also, (this is the one that scares me) there was grey smoke coming from the exhaust mainfold area. I couldn't really tell what it smelled like.

I just wanted to get your opinions before I take it to get checked out.

Old 07-15-2005, 10:31 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Post deployment car trouble

Welcome back. It's always good when someone comes home safe.
Sitting for extended periods does weird things to cars. I suggest an oil change and a good charge for your barttery. If you have battery charger, let it chrage fully...also check to make sure all the wells are full. If any of the wells are low you can add distilled water to top them off. Or just get a new battery....probably easier and quicker just not cheaper.
Take a look at the manifold and repost with more detail. Color, smell, and location of where around the maifold the smoke is coming from.
Also check the intake out. Make sure nothing has built a nest in their. The rough idle just may be a problem with airflow. Same advice goes for the exhaust. Look up the tail pipe and make sure nothing set up house in their too.

I almost forgot, try cleaning the throttle body too.

Old 07-15-2005, 11:53 AM
6th Gear

Hey welcome back my friend. You're coming home and I'm about to leave!

If gas sits around for awhile it can accumulate condensation and moisture. After a tank of fuel it may sort itself out. As for the battery that's pretty normal for sitting around for a long time. Every time our guys come home after deployment there are 3 or 4 of them needing jumps in the long term parking lot.

Old 07-15-2005, 01:44 PM
Site Moderator

New battery. The one that was in there was original.

I let it run for a couple more minutes. Idle was a lot better after 5 min.

The smoke looks like it's coming from where the exhaust manifold meets the head. I can't really smell anything. White in color. Maybe head gasket. No smoke from the tailpipe.

Old 07-15-2005, 02:20 PM
6th Gear

Does it continue to smoke? You may have a very small head gasket leak allowing coolant into the engine.

Old 07-15-2005, 05:42 PM
Site Moderator

I ran it for 10 min straight. It didn't get any better or worse. I'm taking it to my mechanic today. I'll probably get the timing belt knocked out also, as I don't know when or if it was even done. And I have a week off.

For the Timing belt service I should basically request the parts from the ECS kit correct?
Timing Belt
OEM Tensioner
OEM Tensioner Roller
OEM Idler Roller
Hepu OE Water Pump With gasket
Wahler OE Thermostat with O-ring
A/C Belt
P/S Belt
Alternator Belt

Old 07-15-2005, 06:16 PM
1st Gear

Welcome back bro,
I head out w/in 60 days for 7 mo. rotation... At least I'll save up some more combat pay to get the GT28RS installed when I get back! It all works out in the end. Take it easy and stay safe!

JB

Old 07-15-2005, 06:21 PM
Site Moderator

Be safe and keep cool. Had 2 people pass out in the heat the day we were leaving.

Old 07-15-2005, 06:24 PM
Administrator

welcome back BaconBait
and i hope everyone thats leave stay safe out there

Old 07-21-2005, 05:45 PM
Site Moderator

Update: Total for the timing belt change was $600. The previous owner have the belt changed, but they didn't change anything else. The smoke coming from above the manifold was oil leaking out from under the valve cover. Tightened and fixed.

Now it's at another shop getting the springs, shocks, rotors, brake pads, and brake lines installed. That'll be done tomorrow. Wheels and tires are on the way. Woohooo!

H&R sport springs, Bilstein sport shocks, Zimmerman drilled rotors, Mintex pads, and braided brake lines... oh my!