Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

possible tranny issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 06:05 AM
1st Gear
Default possible tranny issue

I'm a little confused on this one guys. I have searched the forums but have came across so many possible answers.... My problem is this-

I just got an APR chip last Friday and I am experiencing accletation problems now in the higher gears. The car will start to jerk, and not accelerate at all. This tends to happen in 5th gear usually above or nearly 3000....I don't think it has ever happened in fourth. It seems to be fine in the bottom 3 gears though. I can take the car to redline and have power all the way through, in each gear (loving the chip).

So from reading the posts on this forum, it seems like it could be the DV, which I doubt because I have a fairly new Forge 006. Or it could be a boost leak, but I can't really tell that since I don't have a boost gauge (I am putting one in this weekend though). I have also heard spark plugs...but I find it strange that it could be that since I didn't have this problem before I got the chip. To be fair, I was driving like a jerk so much either. Or maybe it is the transmision or even turbo going out....as you can see, I have no clear idea.

Oh, I am not sure if it does this in drive, as I only drivein thetiptronic setting. Car is a 98 1.8tq, engine code AEB. I am not getting any CELS either.

Any hints, or has this happened to anybody else?

Old 05-09-2007, 07:53 AM
Default RE: possible tranny issue

I would think along the lines of chip tuning rather than the gearbox perhaps it needs tweaking to give more fuel at top end, just a thought

Old 05-09-2007, 08:18 AM
1st Gear

I bought my APR chip from 2Bennet Audimotive. Are you saying I need to bring it back to them? I can give them a call tomorrow.

Old 05-09-2007, 09:08 AM

the problem with chipping is the engine likes to have it set up rather than just sticking it in there or you might need to do a few runs so it learns the system which set the ECU up

Old 05-09-2007, 01:43 PM
1st Gear

This morning, I drove the car without using the tiptronic, and it was fine. I punched it doing 65,and the gear dropped and the car pulled hard and then switched to 5th around 85. I only had one chance to do this, so the speeds could be off a bit....dang traffic.
Using the tip, I would have had the problem I described in my original post. Do you think that the car could be jerking in tip because I should be in a lower gear when I gas it?

Old 05-09-2007, 05:19 PM

been thinking about this one all day and conclusion could be the chip -V- the tiptronic ( is the chip designed for an automatic?? ) remember the auto tranny also has its own ECU so I was thinking there could be a conflict when in tip mode so it might need the tranny or the chip to be calibrated, just thinking out side the box here

Old 05-09-2007, 05:59 PM
1st Gear

I appreciate the info. I would think the chip was made for the automatic since I drove the car into the shop and had the techs instal it. I haven't called them yet since the problem didn't happen this morning....but the issue does seem to be random.
This is the place that put the chip in for me. http://www.2bennett.com/

Old 05-09-2007, 06:03 PM

random could mean the system is learning and should sort its self out with a few runs but if it were me I would go back and have them check it out for peace of mind

Old 05-09-2007, 07:58 PM
1st Gear

Update- on the drive home from work today, I played with the problem some more. It is only doing it in 5th gear and only when I am really getting on the gas while driving with the tiptronic. The gears cary out fine in 1st - 4th while in tiptronic. Then, in D, all the gears seem fine. Even 5th gear.

I failed to omit earlier, that on my ride home from the place where I got the chip installed....no problems. This issue didn't show up until the next day or so.

Yeah...so I am confused.

Old 05-10-2007, 12:13 PM
1st Gear

So, I called the shop and they said it doesn't sound like the software. I also noticed that it did it this morning too...in 2nd, around 5000 rpms. They think it could be a leak in a vacum line? Does that sound right? In theory....would this be true:
I got the leak after I got the chip because I blew a hose since my driving habits have changed. If the culprit was a leak, is it normal to only be get this jerky/choppy sensation in high RPMsin aWOT situation?

I am putting a boost gauge in tonight, as long as UPS does there job correctly. That would be able to help me diagnose the leak issue right?

Quick Reply: possible tranny issue