Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible new Audi Owner, have questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 12:34 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Possible new Audi Owner, have questions

The JDM engine was pretty easy to install i did it w/ a friend of mine in 2 days. The motor/turbo jdm stock setup pushs around 215...not sure what i was pushing to the wheels and i hate guessing at HP like a kid with a Honda. I never got around to Dyno'n the car but when the car was stockish i ran low 14's at the track. From stock boost which is 8-11 psi i turned it up to 16-18 psi. The Intercooler was a nice help and Jdm turbo w/ motor. I hate to guess but you want you can guess by those specs.

As for Audi's i am pushing for NA and not going Turbo with these cars...i have had enough headaches and money pits in my life with the Mr2.
I have been hearing alot and from what i have been told the 12V is more realiable than the 30V but now i hear the opposite. Which one is it?

David9999: Any thoughts about how the Audi 2.8L do compared to the 1.8? I know i will not be buying the turbo and from what i have read they have had to many problems especially at higher miles. Also 1k a year maintenance is understandable but what type of work was needed? Just oil/filter plug wires ? Or other major things? Also that is for a Turbo car are the 2.8L easier on the pocket or about the same?

Thanks Everyone!

Old 11-22-2005, 05:26 PM
1st Gear

I found this and was asking him questions about the timing belt, water pump, and oil pump
http://newjersey.craigslist.org/car/112882173.html

He told me:

All regular maintenance, oil changes, brake fluid flushes, spark plug replacements, etc. have been duly done. There is no need to replace the water or oil pumps, these are good for the life of the car, I have checked this with the manufacturer. The timing belt has not been replaced. That should have been done sometime in the last year (I have put 20,000 miles on the car in the last 12 months). I simply haven't had time.

There are no problems with axles or suspension or anything else.

What do you guys think?

Old 11-22-2005, 08:27 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: mackie

I bought it in June of 2004, put about 25k on it and about $3500k into it in repairs.
labor kills. thats why you learn do work on it ur self, its fun and rewarding and you can tell all of your friends that you fixed it ur self. ive had my 2.8 for about a year and i havent had any serious problems with it but i have done quite a bit of suspension maintenence and other stuff too, i would have spent over 3k but am under 1k now. hahahahahaha i saved 2k in yo face audi dealer!!!!

Old 11-22-2005, 08:50 PM
1st Gear

I do most of the work myself and thankfully i have access to a dealership when i need to do major stuff. I have replaced struts/springs sway bars end link..etc..
Hey Sandman could you tell me what you think about the car personally? What are your miles and specs? Also you spent 1k but on what exactly? Struts , tie rods, control arms?
I have been told expect to spend around 1k in maintenance a year, which i don't mind...what i do is the unexpected 2-3k drop for something rediculous.

Old 11-22-2005, 10:48 PM
2nd Gear

****, i dropped 2 grand in the first 2 months of owning my audi...i pray nothing goes wrong now, but a 2.8, i believe you are making a sound investment....and gen 2 3s-gte's came w/ 215 hp stock, and about 8 more hp for every pound of boost added. i would have sworn you would have been in the 13's....but the driver makes all the difference.

Old 11-22-2005, 11:11 PM
1st Gear

I know the HP estimates but thats not to the ground only to the fly. Its 8-10 HP per Psi all depending on the engine of course and supporting mods. If you add it up the stock gen2 w/ ceramic turbo makes 215 hp, you then have stock mr2 boost at 8-11. Making it fair stock psi is 10 psi add 80 hp ontop of 215 makes close to 295. With the IC it makes it safer to blow 18 psi...now you add up the intake and exhaust w/ stock primary cat you can get with that setup another 20ish hp.
When i first bought it i just suspension and intake and i ran low 14's....right before i sold it i shoulda been running low 13's. I unfortunatly don't have to many hours behind the wheel at the 1320' since i find it more boring and rather spend time auto-x and at Road tracks.

Hey thats just me

Hey SLowB, what year and model A4 do you have? what were the miles when you got it and what did you spend 2k on?
Thanks!

Old 11-22-2005, 11:47 PM
5th Gear

the 12v 2.8 is the slowest A4, but the most reliable. It's also smoother than the 1.8 with more low end power. i've got a 12v with 144k miles on, running very strong. i bought the car with a bad synchro and had to have the transmission replaced, but that's not very common with these trannys. i've had to replace the tie rod ends, engine coolant temp sensor, and the oil temp sender recently started to fail (TREs were 60 bucks, ECT sensor was 15, oil temp sender another 15). i'd definitely go for the 2.8. If you can afford it, go with the 30v, because they are basically the same car with a little more power. here's a few things to keep an eye out for:

ORIGINAL: bentframe

make sure the suspension is good....worn control arms will squeak, tie rod ends will clunk when you hit bumps, cv joints will click during low speed turns (if you're on the gas), open up the oil cap to look for signs of oil sludge (this is especially important with the 1.8Ts)...do the same for the power steering fluid, as well as the coolant. sometimes people top them off or refill them with regular fluids and that can cause big problems including sludge issues....test the cruise control, the switches are known to fail (typically it's an easy fix, a good way to knock a few bucks off the price ). make sure the sunroof is fully functional as well as windows (check each door's switch individually)..listen on the freeway for a humming/grinding sound for failing wheel bearings..oh, and leave the radio OFF during the test drive, test the speakers before or after driving....also consider the mileage on the timing belt, they need to be done every 60-90k miles....search the forums, there are TONS of threads on all this stuff...

Old 11-23-2005, 12:23 AM
1st Gear

Yes thank you thats pretty much what i have found from all the research i have done so far. I can do all that testing except for the testing on HIghway...going to be fun insisting to test drive on highway

Old 11-23-2005, 02:52 AM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: mackie

I don't have a 2.8, I have a 1999 A4 1.8T and buying that car was the worst mistake I've ever made. I thought I was getting a great deal, it was a nice car, especially when I had to have an AWD car. I read Consumer Reports' warnings but once I got in and drove it, I forgot all about them, I was sold. Dumb Dumb Dumb. I should've taken their ratings more seriously. I bought it in June of 2004, put about 25k on it and about $3500k into it in repairs. I brought it in for more noises and an Air Bag warning light a couple of weeks ago and am looking at another 2k to fix. The car is great when it's running right and nothing is broken, but at this point, I've forgotten what that's like. I hear that the newer models have improved greatly, but I still don't think I could ever get another one.
You need to find a new dealer or mechanic. I'm not making excuses for the car; they all do this, so you gotta find somewhere that won't charge you 2gs for the airbag light, or do some research (audiworld) and find out how to fix the light yourself. There are two posts on Audizine.com's B5 A4 section about this right now.

Sorry you've had such a poor experience.