Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

please help/radio install.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 07:37 PM
1st Gear
Default please help/radio install.

whats the best way to pass a 8guage power cable from the rear of the car to the engine bay to connect to the battery. Also does anyone know how to hardwire a after market head unit? I ve been doing search but i haven't found specific. any suggestion on how to wire the speaker wire from the front to the back?
thank you guys,

2000 A4 1.8T quattro Tip.

Old 09-29-2007, 08:35 PM
5th Gear
Default RE: please help/radio install.

most people usually run it under the trim on the floor by the door. as for wiring the head unit, are u not sure what wires to connect? did the head unit come with instructions?

Old 09-29-2007, 09:20 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: hypnotiks

whats the best way to pass a 8guage power cable from the rear of the car to the engine bay to connect to the battery
8 guage is pretty small you can run it thru anywhere. but i got a clothes hanger and ran it thru the hole where the wire that pops the hood runs. if youre standing in front of your bumper its in the right corner furthest from you by the drivers side door. i sealed it up afterwards so it wouldnt leak

Old 09-29-2007, 11:22 PM
1st Gear

I dont have the harness for it, so i want to hard wire it. Does anyone have a wire diagram, so that i know what wire to connect to the radio. The only ones i need are the power, ignition and remote wires.the speakers wire will be connected directly to the amp.

Old 09-30-2007, 12:20 AM

ORIGINAL: sdsteez

8 guage is pretty small you can run it thru anywhere. but i got a clothes hanger and ran it thru the hole where the wire that pops the hood runs. if youre standing in front of your bumper its in the right corner furthest from you by the drivers side door. i sealed it up afterwards so it wouldnt leak
Same thing I did with a 4 guage wire.

From the battery through the hood release grommet, down that side behind the panel, under the trim on the floor, up behind the rear seat bolsters, down through the old speaker holes (I don't have rear speakers, and my amps are mounted from the rear deck).

Just make sure you seal up the hood release grommet, I used silicon caulk for mine.

Old 09-30-2007, 01:40 AM
Tech Slut

i have 2 gauge and couldnt fit it thru the grommet under the dash. So i unbolted the front corner body panel (wheel well) and ran it thru the gap then bolted it back up. easy and cable is only visible when door is open.doesnt crimp it at all. Theres room for it you just have to unbolt it to get the cable in there. 8 gauge is tiny though. should fit thru the grommet.

Old 09-30-2007, 02:10 AM

^^ That's a pretty bolt username for somebody on stock suspension and just k04'd.

hypnotiks, search around on crutchfield and see if you can get a diagram from them, I know they sent me one when I got my headunit.

Old 09-30-2007, 09:17 AM
1st Gear

Alright this is an area that I have some experience with. As for your power wire like the other said you can run it through the grommet, as for my install Iran "0" gauge wire and drill through the side of the ECU box which the wire comes down right by the pedals. If you go this route be sure and seal up the ECU box real well with some plumbers caulk, or a similar sealant.

When it comes to the hardwiring of the head unit, are you saying that you don't have the factory radio harness still attached? If that is the case see if you can go up to Best Buy and see if they have the color code for the wiring.

As for speaker wire, I ran 12 gauge twisted speaker wire for all the doors on my 03' A4 Q. The tricky part is when I removed the rubber wiring cover between the doors you will see that the connector jacks are flush on the frame. What I had to do was disconnect the connector from the door and take a dremel and bore out the areas where there was not any factory wiring to get the wires through. If you do use a twisted wire I recommend that you untwist about 5 feet of wire to sneak through the door.

Let me know if you need any other help.

Old 09-30-2007, 09:55 AM
1st Gear

Xerexb,

I went to best buy and they said that they didn't have anything for my car, not even color coded harness.

this the way i will try to wire it,

I will find the positive, remote and ignition from the car harness and wire it to the radio. than everything else will be wired to the amps.

I was reading about the k-wire, do i just leave that alone.

Thanks guy, thats my project for today.....

Old 09-30-2007, 10:11 AM
1st Gear

As for the K-wire leave it disconnected. Also make sure to tape all the wires to prevent any type of unwanted grounding.