Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paintscratch.com, Why Do You Hurt Me So? (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 09:57 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Paintscratch.com, Why Do You Hurt Me So?

This thread got really off topic...............anyway sineo go to a body shop that you trust and have them look at your paint, pay them to mix you a batch of paint and use that (if you have a paint gun of course) or just have the body shop do it. I still don't see why you couldn't use the duplicolor, even if its for the newer silver it should look better than the old silver anyways.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:07 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: auditech79

This thread got really off topic...............anyway sineo go to a body shop that you trust and have them look at your paint, pay them to mix you a batch of paint and use that (if you have a paint gun of course) or just have the body shop do it. I still don't see why you couldn't use the duplicolor, even if its for the newer silver it should look better than the old silver anyways.
I'm going to re-do it tomorrow with the blue as a basecoat and hopefully it'll make the Duplicolor a better match. Worst case scenario, it'll look like it did the first time I painted it, which wasn't bad...and best case, it'll be a match! Fingers crossed.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:12 PM
Site Moderator

No no! Don't use blue as a base coat, you can make the paint have a dull green luster that way.
You need to at least lightly sand off the old paint with 400 grit sand paper, then 2 coats of primer, lightly wet sand the second coat of primer.
Then apply at least 3 coats of the duplicolor silver followed by 2-3 coats of clear, which will bring out the color even more.
Clear isn't needed, but damn it looks night and day better!

Old 11-20-2007, 10:18 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: auditech79

No no! Don't use blue as a base coat, you can make the paint have a dull green luster that way.
Dang it, really? Because the thing is, this is really a lot of work and I KNOW that Duplicolor's Silver isn't a perfect match...it seems like having the blueish silver under the not-blue-enough silver could be an improvement. But I definitely don't want green. I don't think I'm going to be able to sand all of the blueish silver off anyway...I couldn't with the other color...mostly just took the clearcoat off and then primed and painted. I hate you paintscratch.com!!

Old 11-20-2007, 10:23 PM
Site Moderator

It won't take much sanding to take out all that blue color, you just need to sand it enough to make it smooth again so you can use coats of primer which will hide all of that crap. The wet sanding will make it a glossy finish before you even apply the paint which is what you want.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:39 PM
Administrator

Actually the color of the paint on her car (the OEM paint) is identical to mine - we both have 1999 cars with the same paint. Sineo, I agree with him though - go to a local paint shop, and they can scan a painted panel of your car (such as your gas filler door) and give you an exact match for your paint, even including any sun fade. Those are also guaranteed to match, and if there are any problems, you can go there in person and raise hell until they fix it for you.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:42 PM
Administrator

Quick tip - go to Lowes and spend $30 for a Black and Decker Mouse sander. The thing rocks - I have two of them and use them for everything from paint prep to metal polishing. The money you spend for one (which comes in a kit with a bunch of different sandpaper grits, plus scrubbing pads, steel wool, and more) is well worth it - you'll save a ton of time and aggravation over doing it by hand.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:44 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: UpstateNYA4

Actually the color of the paint on her car (the OEM paint) is identical to mine - we both have 1999 cars with the same paint. Sineo, I agree with him though - go to a local paint shop, and they can scan a painted panel of your car (such as your gas filler door) and give you an exact match for your paint, even including any sun fade. Those are also guaranteed to match, and if there are any problems, you can go there in person and raise hell until they fix it for you.

Unfortunately, I don't have a paint gun or several hundred dollars to have them do it...otherwise I would, absolutely. What did you end up with on yours? You painted them right?

Old 11-20-2007, 10:54 PM
Administrator

You don't need any of that stuff. The place local to me will scan and create the exact match, and then load it in aerosol cans for you. Sorry - should've said that. But yeah, almost all of the paint shops like that can do that for you. Then you can take it home and deblue the car. I haven't painted mine yet - I will be in the spring. No sense in doing it yet though - chances are snow/road debris will just chip it anyhow and I'd have to redo it. Plus it's too f*cking cold for the paint to be used properly now anyhow.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:55 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Paintscratch.com, Why Do You Hurt Me So? (pics)

lol...it doesnt really looked that bad.

Quick Reply: Paintscratch.com, Why Do You Hurt Me So? (pics)