Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

painting question

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 04:07 PM
1st Gear
Default painting question

I have a '97 A4 - I bought it used and it came in a color they called 'Pearl' which is basically just an off white. Basically, I hate it. I want to repaint my car a completely different color (probably black or red), my only problem is I don't have much $$$ to work with. Where's the best/cheapest place to get my car painted? And what kind of paint job do I need to make sure I get so I'm not wasting my money on something that's not going to last? All help is appreciated!

Old 12-12-2004, 04:17 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: painting question

You cold go ricer for a grand (gonna get a completly **** *** paint, just a gloss) plus, your door jambs, and all that won't even be painted, only what can be seen.. when the doors are closed. OR, you could go for approx. 5K (save ur money, it's worth it) and get a nice paint job, multiple layers, metallic, and a great job, they really get into your car to paint it, and it looks like the car came liek that. IMO, i'd never waste my time and money on a cheap paint job, it's the one thing you can't cheap out on. Either keep it stock, or go big, cause if you cheap out, you're gonna want your old colour back

Old 12-12-2004, 05:33 PM
1st Gear

Where's the best/cheapest place to get my car painted? And what kind of paint job do I need to make sure I get so I'm not wasting my money on something that's not going to last? All help is appreciated!
Paint it yourself, go buy a book and some equipment or borrow a friends and learn how to paint on your own, it is a little more work but oh sooo much better when you are done.

Old 12-12-2004, 06:59 PM
1st Gear

sell it and buy one in the colour you want.

Old 12-12-2004, 09:12 PM

sell it and buy the color you want. this is the cheaPEST WAY. paint jobs cost around 4K if you want them to paint the door jambs. it cost around 10K if you want them to paint the engine compartment. and you WILL get orange peel. ultimatly if you dont spend around 6 or 7 thousand dollars you will be unhappy with the paint job

Old 12-12-2004, 10:39 PM
1st Gear

Paint it yourself, go buy a book and some equipment or borrow a friends and learn how to paint on your own
How difficult would it be to really do that? I'd be up for it if it was easy enough.

Old 12-12-2004, 11:41 PM
Administrator

u can go wit macco or those one day paint place but rememeber u get wut you pay for

Old 12-12-2004, 11:42 PM
6th Gear

There is no way it would turn out looking good. A good paint job is an art and takes lots of skill. The cost of painting an A4 properly will run well over 4 thousand bucks. You get what you pay for. Maco and cheap paint shops produce utter crap.

Old 12-12-2004, 11:46 PM
Administrator

im lucky cause my uncle is a master car painter for a popular collision repair shop and he does great work, it looks as good or better then stock. i remember how he worked magic on my old civic

Old 12-13-2004, 12:19 AM
3rd Gear

I paid about 3000 to get my car repainted but like they said thats just the exterior I had it painted the same color

You could get it painted a different shade of white and get away with just the exterior but for what youll pay you could just get another audi

Quick Reply: painting question