Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

painting fiberglass bumper....

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 05:01 PM
2nd Gear
Default painting fiberglass bumper....

im about to buy a rs4 bumper that is fiberglass and have a few questions. In the picture below, is it ready to be primed and painted as is or is there other work that is needed to be done to prepare it? (putting in consideration there is no cracks or chips to fix). Also, is there a certain method installing it so the paint doesnt crack easily over time? I know fiberglass will eventually show little cracks but theres gotta be a way to decrease the chances of this happening. Thanks for any tips guys

[/align]

[IMG]local://upfiles/30812/20CFAB7900164913960B9E1D93AF60C4.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-21-2007, 05:04 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: painting fiberglass bumper....

fiberglass wont eventually show little cracks.. it will crack like a bitch

there is pretty much no avoidence for it.. some people rave about flex agents, but that will only keep the pant flexable till the top coat dries

Old 06-21-2007, 05:26 PM
1st Gear

Click on this link, go to products, then technical information, then Chromasystem. You will find some instructions on plastic and fiberglass painting there that give you all the preperation, painting, clearcoating instructions. I followed these instructions to paint my lowers and black trims on my car and it turned out really good.

http://www.performancecoatings.dupon...!visitorAction

Old 06-21-2007, 05:30 PM
2nd Gear

so referring to my first question, it isnt ready to prime...sand...and paint as shown in the pic??? Theres got tp be some decent way to paint these bumpers with it not cracking like a bitch. I mean, all these damn rs4 bumpers are fiberglass and the ones that are plastic that ive seen look like ****!

[/align]

Old 06-21-2007, 08:15 PM
2nd Gear

the link above seems to not be working when i click on it. Any other suggestions or comments from people that have done this before?

[/align]

Old 06-21-2007, 08:24 PM
1st Gear

try this
www.performancecoatings.dupont.com
then click automotive finishes, then the instructions above.

Old 06-22-2007, 10:15 AM
2nd Gear

my car had a RS4 fiberglass front bumper on it when i got it and you would lighty bush it which say you leg and the paint would fall off and it was only held on by 4 sheet metal screws in each wheel well and when i was driving at highway speeds it would flop up and down which broke my passanger headlight one day. from what i understand is about 90% of fiberglass body kits don't really have any way for you to mount them so you have to get creative on the mounting and if you don't want the paint to chip as much get a butt load of bondo and cover the whole bumper and sand but after this that bumper will be heavy so your best bet is to spend more money on the bumper and get a riger or a uberhaus from lltek.com just my 2 cents

Old 06-22-2007, 11:31 AM
2nd Gear

that sucks man id be pissed if the paint was just "falling off" the bumper. The bumper i was lookin at was a reiger but its still fiberglass so im not sure what you were gettin at with that. Guess im gonna spend more on a uberhaus.

[/align]

Old 06-22-2007, 12:01 PM
2nd Gear

i thought reigers bumper was made out of molded ABS plastic?? which is better then fiber glass but not as good as the uberhaus if you look to my pic on the left that is and uberhaus rs4 bumper on my car

Old 06-22-2007, 12:06 PM
2nd Gear

some pics here about 20 mins after it was installed
https://www.audiforums.com/m_285561/tm.htm

and here are sure after i waxed it
https://www.audiforums.com/m_361573/tm.htm

Quick Reply: painting fiberglass bumper....